Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,159   Online: 816

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, I don't think so. With the FB I think you risk staining more than anything else. Like others stated, don't keep RC prints wet for very long. Properly processed FB should be pretty tough.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Like yourself I don't have running water in my darkroom, so my usual practice is to lift the print from the fixer with 15 seconds to go and drain back into the fixer until the timer goes. I then drop it into a tray of water and leave it rest there until the end of my session or the tray fills up. This can be a matter of hours, but I have not encountered the problems that you have had. I print both RC and FB paper. If I'm printing 12 x16 prints I am inclined to bring those down to my washer when I have 2 copies printed.
    I just wonder was your holding tray filled with hot water?

Shooter
    35mm
    When I was on a B&W nightschool course, all the students would leave prints in the wash for up to 2 and a half hours while they produced others as there was limited time to produce enough prints.

Everyone was using RC and everyone was using Ilford paper. No-one reported any problems in the whole 10 sessions. Ilford is well made, tough paper.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Brady (TEX) View Post
    Like yourself I don't have running water in my darkroom, so my usual practice is to lift the print from the fixer with 15 seconds to go and drain back into the fixer until the timer goes. I then drop it into a tray of water and leave it rest there until the end of my session or the tray fills up. This can be a matter of hours, but I have not encountered the problems that you have had. I print both RC and FB paper. If I'm printing 12 x16 prints I am inclined to bring those down to my washer when I have 2 copies printed.
    I just wonder was your holding tray filled with hot water?
    The tray was not filled with hot water. I make the water and the rest of the chemistry at around 68-70 F ... and that's about the temperature of the room, too. That said, I had mixed my developer just a few hours before my print session, and I didn't check the temperature of the developer when I put it in the tray ... the developer was LPD and I used it undiluted, so I didn't control the temperature with water dilution, as I would have with, say, Dektol ... I failed to make sure that the devleoper had cooled off before I put it in the tray. Maybe the developer was still warm from mixing?

In any case, I must have done some combination of things that softened the emulsion on the fiber print. I was working too late, anyway, and was tired, but had to get that last print just perfect ... just a a couple more seconds with the 3 1/2 filter, the tiniest flash to bring out the midtones, another squirt of canned air to be sure all the dust is off the negative, etc.

I'm not sure why this happened ... maybe it was the developer? But it's never happened before, so I'm just going to mix new chemistry next time and proceed as usual. Warm developer, at least, will not be an issue, as it is now mixed.

I def. will treat my Arista RC prints with more care, and not leave them in water for long. I realize Ilford RC might be more durable and easier to work with, but the Foma / Arista stuff has a look to it that I really like.
    Last edited by pstake; 05-30-2012 at 03:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The total wet time for an RC print should not exceed 15 minutes. That's everything including the development time. If you are not using an alkaline fixer, you might have additional issues if you are using an acid stopbath.

I have gotten emulsions to float if I have varying temperatures between my trays and the wash. It doesn't matter much (other than processing times) what the tempertures are as long as they are all identical.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had this happen with either RC or FB paper. I have had prints wash for two hours a few times. (I got busy.) But I haven't let them soak that long either. I have left them wet, but not soaking, for several hours without harm. I have heard of tongs marring prints with softened emulsions, but I haven't had that misfortune. I usually use fingers at the washing stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never used tongs. In retrospect I know I should have but it's too late now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That happened to me when I was at university; sometimes I'd leave FB prints overnight in the print washer. It was always Kentmere papers that suffered lifted emulsions - the Ilford papers never did this. That was before Harman took over Kentmere.

The lesson - always finish washing prints before being chucked out of the darkrooms!

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried to get the emulsion to slide off by leaving RC prints in water for days even and it never happens. Sorry it did when you didn't want it to, though.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    WOW, I leave my fb prints in very dilute wash aid for several days with no issues..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin