Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,137   Online: 980

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I've tried to get the emulsion to slide off by leaving RC prints in water for days even and it never happens. Sorry it did when you didn't want it to, though.
    I used to leave my Ilford RC paper for days in a tray. At a certain point the emulsion would lift into tiny little pieces. It looked like a B&W pointillist painting. It was wonderful, but very delicate. Even dry the emulsion would just slough off. I always planned on using a fixing spray, but never got around to it.

IIRC, the paper was left for at least 3-4 days. Have you tried it for that long?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Humm, oddly enough this has induced me to try leaving prints in the soak longer. I long ago (when the papers may have been worse about this) learned that too long wet times for RC paper resulted in a minor but odd curl, and on RC glossy (which I only use for contact sheets anyway) a loss of gloss and odd surface look. I've never had a problem with FB prints soaking even overnight. The only time the emulsion ever came off was when I forgot a couple of prints (years ago, mea culpa etc.) and left them for a week.

I too have no running water and use the holding bath. FB I just leave in it, but I always take finished RC prints out after a few minutes and sponge off and lay aside, to be fully washed when I'm done. I may try leaving them - I'm aware of the "soaking into the edges" thing but not terribly concerned about it considering I don't really use RC for permanent to-be-mounted display prints anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkasha View Post
    I used to leave my Ilford RC paper for days in a tray. At a certain point the emulsion would lift into tiny little pieces. It looked like a B&W pointillist painting. It was wonderful, but very delicate. Even dry the emulsion would just slough off. I always planned on using a fixing spray, but never got around to it.

IIRC, the paper was left for at least 3-4 days. Have you tried it for that long?
    How fast the prints deteriorate depends on the water and also what bacteria and mold spores are around I've seen emulsions degenerate in less tha 24 hours.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The longest I have tried to soak an RC print was for testing with staining is about 3 days. They were with smaller 5x7 Ilford Multigrade IV. I did really strongly brewed dark coffee, black tea, and red wine. After a number of hours there was no real toning after rinsing, so i trimmed the edges of the print with scissors to try to allows an open edge for the liquids to penetrate. The results were pretty bad after those three days, mainly uneven absorption around the edges of prints (splotches). The fiber prints on the other hand stained quickly, abeit too well as my concentrations were probably a bit too dark, yellowing a bit (coffee esp) after drying as well. Upside is that they smell good haha. but no emulsion slipping off at all.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Brady (TEX) View Post
    then drop it into a tray of water and leave it rest there until the end of my session or the tray fills up. This can be a matter of hours, but I have not encountered the problems that you have had. I print both RC and FB paper.
    Likewise. My prints (normally Ilford RC) stay in the water bath after fixing until I've finished the session, which could be 3 - 4 hours before being washed in running water then dried. I've never had a problem.
    Strange.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anybody know if either too warm of developer or too strong of stop bath could have caused this to happen?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in "the day", 50+ years ago, we left prints in the wash for the entire printing session (several hours).

Of course, RC paper didn't exist then... it was all fiber.

What was the water temperature?
    Elevated temp can cause the emulsion to separate from the substrate. Should be the same temp as the developer and all other chems.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 05-31-2012 at 02:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The bath temperature was room temperature. 68-70.

I had just mixed my developer (a new gallon of stock) about 2 hours beforehand. It was mixed at 80-90 degrees. And I didn't check the temperature when I used it, and I used it undiluted by cold water. So I'm thinking that must have been what did it. It must have still been warm. Dumb mistake.

What would be the effect of too strong of Stop bath on prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stop bath strength really doesn't matter. The "stock" solution (Kodak Indicator SB and similar) is already highly diluted.

Most likely the elevated developer temp is the culprit.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Does anybody know if either too warm of developer or too strong of stop bath could have caused this to happen?
    No, these things wouldn't cause emulsion lifting - well, not unless you used glacial acetic acid as a stop bath! :-D It's definitely the extended soaking that caused it.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin