Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,928   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Agfa Papers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I totally agree that Agfa MCC is a superb paper, with fantastic shadows. I've been using it for more than 3 years now. Every once in a while I try something else but always return to Agfa. It's also very good in Selenium, i.e. you can get a nice split in tones. As a matter of fact, I lugged several packets of MCC111 from the UK to a photographer friend in Turkey, because the paper is not available there. It's *that* sought after by some who appreciate it's qualities.
    As you know, Agfa has a very light warm tone. If you ever feel the need for a colder tone for a particular negative, you may want to try Forte Polygrade. It has a similar tonal richness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Agfa MCC and MCP are outstanding papers. And in this town tehy are cheaper than Ilford and Kodak
    They tone real well in vciradon and selenium. It feels a bit like to good ol'brovira
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    I have come to realize that Agfa Classic may be one of the most under appreciated papers of current times, excellent neutral tone, good gloss and the best 'toning experiment' colours I've seen.
    I couldn't agree more... It's my fiber paper of choice (and rc for contacts).

I'm framing up some work today done on it and toned in Kodak Brown toner... 2 minutes in hot toner gives a GREAT brown!

joe

ldh

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Dont know why Agfa papers often dont get the praise they deserve...I personally think they are some of the best on the market...if you talk to master printer, Jim Megargee at MV LAbs in NYC, he will tell you that Agfa Fiber is what his lab uses for all custom work unless requested otherwise. TriX (or that matter most films) in rodinal on either 111 or 118 is outstanding. Antonin Kratochvil has all his exhibition work printed on MCC glossy as does Salgado recently (even though he claims to use only Kodak products). I use LDP with it and have great control over the warmth or coolness of the print.
    s ledem prosim

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    I have come to realize that Agfa Classic may be one of the most under appreciated papers of current times, excellent neutral tone, good gloss and the best 'toning experiment' colours I've seen.

Mark
    I agree wholeheartedly that Agfa's MCC is a great and greatly under-rated paper. I "discovered" it while living in France, and quickly came to appreciate it. In side-by-side comparisons with Ilford MGFB, which I had previously used almost exclusively, I discovered that in every instance, the local contrast and shadow detail was superior in the Agfa. The only other one that matched it was Tetenal's Vario-Contrast, which I suspect was the same paper, and which is not available in this country. The developer will change the tone to a cooler or warmer overall tone, depending on which formula you use.

Larry Kalajainen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup, wholehearted agreement...apart from me thinking that the only other paper as equally underappreciated is Kodak Polymax Fine Art fibre. Superb.
    Agfa MCC also lith prints nicely for stoney tones.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    Yup, wholehearted agreement...apart from me thinking that the only other paper as equally underappreciated is Kodak Polymax Fine Art fibre. Superb.
    Agfa MCC also lith prints nicely for stoney tones.

Tom
    Tom
    I have to agree with you about Polymax, you hardly see anyone mention it.
    It's a beautiful cold tone with a paper surface much like the old Elite, one of the nicest suface finishes ever.
    The C surface has the same texture in semigloss ivory base, but I am beginning to suspect they have discontinued it.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used to use the Agfa graded papers Broveria and the like then the Mcc paper came out and to be perfectly honest Every pack I have bought has been expired and highlights are gray. They replaced the paper but it too was expired. The owner of the shop told me they don't get any in date paper anymore. So, I don't buy it anymore. Whether it is true I don't know.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 12-03-2004 at 10:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add sig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As has been mentioned before: Depending on where you are, Agfa MCC is also available as Tetenal Baryt Vario and this is what I use. I finished a box of Agfa MCC just yesterday and went on with a box from Tetenal and could once again confirm to myself that they are identical. In the black boxes MCC can be had for considerably less than in the orange ones.

Can you imagine I really enjoy this dark(room) time of the year? Holidays are still far enough away, wheather is unfriendly enough to stay inside. I'm having a great time exposing paper...

Stefan

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    As has been mentioned before: Depending on where you are, Agfa MCC is also available as Tetenal Baryt Vario and this is what I use.

Stefan
    Stefan, I gather you're in Europe. Tetenal Vario is not available in the U.S.--at least I haven't found it here yet, and Tetenal does not list it on its U.S. website. It's probably some trade agreement between Agfa and Tetenal that prevents Tetenal from selling it under their name here. You're absolutely right about it being cheaper in its Tetenal packaging; it used to cost me about 15% less in Paris than the Agfa.

Larry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin