Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,920   Posts: 1,584,822   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Agfa Papers

Agfa Papers

Last winter I made some prints on Agfa Fibre and RC papers and did some selective toning in Sepia , Gold and some Copper. They were beautiful and I recently reprinted a couple on Ilford Multigrade IV with the intention of tweaking the colours a little.
    To my surprise I found that toner response with these papers is close to nil and ghastly in Kodak Sepia. Most of the warmtone papers tone beautifully but very differently.
    I have come to realize that Agfa Classic may be one of the most under appreciated papers of current times, excellent neutral tone, good gloss and the best 'toning experiment' colours I've seen. It can be converted to ivory base with a light blue tone and redevelop.
    Also the RC Premium Glossy is the only one I've used which does not have that veiled look.

Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Am not surprised that you found the Ilford paper "wanting"; Ilford indicates this paper is resisted to toning and color shifts.

Have you tried any of the Forte or Bergger papers for color shifts. (warmtone versions). they too have some interesting color shifts.

Each paper type and toner type will results in very different results; all of which gives us a wide variety of options.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    I have come to realize that Agfa Classic may be one of the most under appreciated papers of current times,
    Mark
    Amen to that brother! It is a sweet paper! If you like that paper I would also recommend Cachet. I've not tried many toning tricks with Cachet but it's a nice performer.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Agfa Multicontrast Classic Fibre paper (a.k.a MCC) is also good for lith printing. My favourite is the 118 a kind of pearl surface, combined with a warmtone developer lovely for portraits.
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Quote Originally Posted by ann
    Am not surprised that you found the Ilford paper "wanting"; Ilford indicates this paper is resisted to toning and color shifts.

Have you tried any of the Forte or Bergger papers for color shifts. (warmtone versions). they too have some interesting color shifts.

Each paper type and toner type will results in very different results; all of which gives us a wide variety of options.
    The Warmtones tone wonderfully but more aggressively. Kodak made Polymax in C surface- a semi gloss with a neutral image on a cream base. It was a luscious paper but I cant seem to find it anymore even though I bought some less than a year ago
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kollig
    The Agfa Multicontrast Classic Fibre paper (a.k.a MCC) is also good for lith printing. My favourite is the 118 a kind of pearl surface, combined with a warmtone developer lovely for portraits.
    Hmm - I never thought of trying it for lith printing.
    On that subject if anyone has some old Kodabromide which seems a little weak in the blacks. give part of its development in lith developer. It won't give any lith colors but will give good deep blacks
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    It can be converted to ivory base with a light blue tone and redevelop.
    Mark can I ask you to explain this bit please

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Plymax C

Mark-have you tried to get in touch with B+H in NYC? If anyone might have that surface they would. Calumet is another source I would call.
    Regards Peter

Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Mark can I ask you to explain this bit please
    I was toning a marine scene in iron blue toner and also in Speedibrews Porcelain blue. Often I did not like the blue result so placed the print back in developer which redeveloped it to its original B&W state.
    This gave a colder tone to the image(expected) but the base was also creamy and seemed to vary depending on the bleach used.
    Toning in green tea can also give a lovely base color
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Mark now I understand. It's one of the things I love about APUG, I learn something new every day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin