Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,221   Online: 866

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 x 9 cm film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

6 x 9 cm film

Any of y'all know where else besides J & C I can get 6x9 cm sheet film to fit my beautiful ICA Ideal?

Or failing that, can someone give me a "for dummies" verison of how to cut down 4x5 in the dark without chopping a finger off?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's the line? "Use The Force, Luke. Use The Force." Or, maybe the Zen admonition - "Become one with your cutter, Grasshopper."

If you end up cutting your own, I'd suggest a two-step process - cutting one dimension and then placing the film back in the box before resetting the guide. Roller-style cutters are a bit safer than the guillotine type. I'd also suggest the cotton film-handling gloves. You could try the chain-mail gloves from your local rent-a-knight store, but they tend to scratch the emulsion.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    I sliced the tip of my finger off doing something like this. Granted, I lost more blood than flesh but also ruined a bunch of film.

Better to find a source or convert the camera to use something more readily available (can you adapt it to accept a modern roll film back?)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just checked Adorama's website. Ilford HP4 is still available in 2x3 sheet. Not a bad price either.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    127 Format
    Could you simply cut a roll of 120?

I guess it depends on the tollerances of your back.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    I just checked Adorama's website. Ilford HP4 is still available in 2x3 sheet. Not a bad price either.
    6.5x9cm (2.55x3.54 inches)which is many times refered to as 6x9 is not the same as 2x3 (2.25x3.25)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cutting down 4x5 for 6x9 is going to be awfully wastefull. If that doesn't bother you I'd personally build two jigs. One sized to cut the paper down to the first size you need. The second designed for the second cut. It means spending more money on the cutter setup but you won't be resetting the cutter all the time. That'll save you time and in the end film.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try to get 9x12cm film - then you just need to cut it in half.

Are you sure that the Ica Ideal takes 6x9cm film, and that it isn't 6.5x9?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    Many moons ago I got ilford from BH. just a thought. I tried cutting 4x5 and it was really wasteful. I did the roller cutter and I did put the film back in the box after each cut.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Try to get 9x12cm film - then you just need to cut it in half.

Are you sure that the Ica Ideal takes 6x9cm film, and that it isn't 6.5x9?
    The "6x9" ICA's I've seen over the years were all 6.5x9 which is why I posted the difference above. That's not to say that there couldn't have been other sizes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin