Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,055   Online: 833

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would skip using the needle. It is probably stainless steel and won't affect anything, but it is an unnecessary sharp object. I use a syringe designed for measuring liquid medicines for kids, it has no needle, just a short tube molded into the plastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go to the following site for lots of useful information on this developer. www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110

I use it diluted 1+49, the site will give you times for 1+47 which is close enough. Enjoy
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I would skip using the needle. It is probably stainless steel and won't affect anything, but it is an unnecessary sharp object. I use a syringe designed for measuring liquid medicines for kids, it has no needle, just a short tube molded into the plastic.
    I can't find that one here, also i can remove the needle and just use the syringe tube, but i don't know if i can use it without the needle and if it will be accurate enough and not adding few drops or ml on the recommended amount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Go to the following site for lots of useful information on this developer. www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110

I use it diluted 1+49, the site will give you times for 1+47 which is close enough. Enjoy
    And now you asking me to go with dilution E, most recommending Dilution B or H, and now E, that what i was worry about, i can use all dilutions, but i have to choose one to start with, later i can test all dilutions if necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    I can't find that one here, also i can remove the needle and just use the syringe tube, but i don't know if i can use it without the needle and if it will be accurate enough and not adding few drops or ml on the recommended amount.
    Hmmm -- you raise an interesting point, but my thought is the volume of the inside of a typical hypodermic needle would be a minuscule fraction of a multi-milliliter measurement and could thus be neglected (I'm not sure it's considered in calibration for medical use, as that last bit in the needle can't be forced out. Beyond that, I would say being consistent in your procedure from roll to roll will be more important than multi-digit accuracy. That is, if you are off a little by the same amount each time, you will develop a process that compensates and hides the inaccuracies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Hmmm -- you raise an interesting point, but my thought is the volume of the inside of a typical hypodermic needle would be a minuscule fraction of a multi-milliliter measurement and could thus be neglected (I'm not sure it's considered in calibration for medical use, as that last bit in the needle can't be forced out. Beyond that, I would say being consistent in your procedure from roll to roll will be more important than multi-digit accuracy. That is, if you are off a little by the same amount each time, you will develop a process that compensates and hides the inaccuracies.
    I don't know what to say, i hope i didn't do a mistake to choose HC-110 then, didn't have problem with Ilfosol 3 and TMAX dev before, even D-76 was easy to use regardless i don't like it much, but seems this HC-110 with small dilution measurement it may go with few issues after long run.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    And now you asking me to go with dilution E, most recommending Dilution B or H, and now E, that what i was worry about, i can use all dilutions, but i have to choose one to start with, later i can test all dilutions if necessary.
    You misunderstand I am not telling you which dilution to use I am telling you only which dilution I use. I find 1+49 the best for my negatives in term of quality and economy. Use the covington website and select a dilution to try first. All the dilutions mentioned produce good results. You're asking people to make a decision that only you can make based on the subjects and lighting conditions under which you photograph. Remember photography is a learning experience.

If you have read the article and still feel uncomfortable with HC-110 then I would suggest going back to a developer with which you are faniliar.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-02-2012 at 10:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tareq:

All the dilutions work well, if slightly differently.

There is more information around for dilution B than some of the others (e.g. for unusual films) but it isn't particularly difficult to figure out how to extrapolate that information for other dilutions.

If your circumstances lead you to working at higher temperatures, the combination of dilution B and some films require times that are awkwardly short, so higher dilutions are preferable.

And some tanks require a lot of liquid, so dilution B can result in using a lot of developer for each roll (thus making it less economical).

Unless the short times are a problem, I would suggest starting with dilution B. Once you get comfortable with that, we can give you hints about switching to another dilution if you want to.

For what it is worth, I personally am currently using 1 + 49 (essentially dilution E) in a replenishment regime, but have been happy using 1 + 63 (dilution H) in the past.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, i was going to start using dilution B, but you are right, the bottle is small so if i use that for a large tank such as 500ml-1L that will not be economical, i feel i want to go with higher dilutions like 49 or 63, but i was thinking to use less dilution now for those 2 films as i will have long time more than 5min anyway, later if i will use the film at same box speed then i can go with higher dilutions no problem, in fact i am only worry about developing for push/pull, it will be my first time, so i want to be accurate or closer to do things right, and with push process and high dilution it will take even longer, i can manage to do at 20C degree even it is hot here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finally i developed one film with this developer, i can't tell my impression yet, but i was so paranoid, even with i was mixing had few problems that i don't think it will affect anything but i hope i should more careful to have precautions, the liquid is thick, i didn't know it will be, some drops lost out of the bottle as i was trying to use the needle with the syringe, but it didn't work, so i took it out after pouring water to make it gently taking off.

I am not sure if the fixer was still fine working as it was about 13-16 months i think with no use in bottle, and some impurities maybe from that rubber on top of the bottle to block air, in all cases, i did't want to do many tests to see if the fixer and stop both are all still working fine, so i just gave them a use and done developed the roll.

I started with Tri-X400 exposed @1600, waiting the roll to be dried then will see how it come out from scan or print if i can do, the first look at it i can see i have mixed exposure, some are overexposed and some under, maybe 1-2 frames are good exposure, honestly, i don't worry much about that, sometimes i like some frames to be look different than just so accurate proper exposure, will see later.

I did go with Dilution B [1+31], what is the chances that the bottle can last longer after i opened it and it exposed to air for few seconds before i close it tight?

What else i should consider and look at by now for next time? Still i have one more film waiting[HP5+], maybe tomorrow i will give it a try.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin