Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,530   Online: 1035
      
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ajman - U.A.E.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    952

    HC-110 dilution and time

    Hi again,

    Well, i don't know why this developer stopping me to use it, the more i read about it here and there, te more i feel difficult how to start or use it.

    I know it is discussed millions of times, but i will be happy if i can understand it one time than those millions, which dilution i should start with to develop 2 films, HP5+ @800 and TX400 @1600? what the time i should use of the given or recommended dilution? I want to avoid "Stand" development for now, so what i should do?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    429
    Use dilution B. Mix directly from syrup, don't make the stock solution, as it doesn't last. (The syrup has no water in it, so it is resistant to oxidation.) You'll need a small syringe to measure the syrup, such as one for measuring liquid medicines that you can buy at a drug store. Measuring the syrup accurately is important due to the high dilutions used.

    For the US syrup, dilution B is one part syrup, 31 parts water. There is a European syrup that requires different dilution for dilution B.]

    Great information source: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ajman - U.A.E.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    Use dilution B. Mix directly from syrup, don't make the stock solution, as it doesn't last. (The syrup has no water in it, so it is resistant to oxidation.) You'll need a small syringe to measure the syrup, such as one for measuring liquid medicines that you can buy at a drug store. Measuring the syrup accurately is important due to the high dilutions used.

    For the US syrup, dilution B is one part syrup, 31 parts water. There is a European syrup that requires different dilution for dilution B.]

    Great information source: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    Cool, so you recommend me to go with Dilution B, and dilute 1+31, not 1+49 or 1+62 as some prefer?

    Once i will go with this is you recommend, i can find which time to develop, i am worry i may get more posts here telling me to go another methods or dilutions as well

  4. #4
    DWThomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,235
    Images
    65
    With some films, use of dilution B may result in developing times so short (like under 4 minutes) it is difficult to time accurately in tank processing, although if you are pushing that's less likely to be a problem. And if, as I do, you go one-shot, the greater dilutions use less developer (I'm also cheap! )

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ajman - U.A.E.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    952
    Well, in fact i am worry because i will use this developer for first time for push process, first time using this dev and first time i shoot for push process, if i shoot just normal at box speed then i will never worry much which dilution i will use, I can use Ilford developers or TMAX dev also, but i don't think those are good enough more than HC-110, Ilfosol 3 is good for slower speeds, and TMAX is amazing for normal speed for box, one day i may try it for push/pull, but now i chose HC-110 to be the dev of the test, and for that push process, the time is good enough above 5min, if not then i will increase the dilution or maybe use same less dilution and may try stand developing, HP5+ seems fine for that time, but not sure TX400 may go good.

  6. #6
    Richard Sintchak (rich815)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,980
    Images
    1
    Dissolve 32ml of HC-110 syrup in 1000ml of water, develop the HP5+ at 7min at 20C. Or use 16ml of syrup and develop for 14min. Agitate twice at each minute mark. Do the exact same for the Tmax. HP5 at 800 and Tmax at 1600 in this case is about the same development time.
    -----------------------

    "Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

    Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

    My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

    My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ajman - U.A.E.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Dissolve 32ml of HC-110 syrup in 1000ml of water, develop the HP5+ at 7min at 20C. Or use 16ml of syrup and develop for 14min. Agitate twice at each minute mark. Do the exact same for the Tmax. HP5 at 800 and Tmax at 1600 in this case is about the same development time.
    1000ml? I am developing for 120 on 500ml tank, so how can i measure again for that 500ml?
    Not Tmax, but TriX400 at 1600

  8. #8
    Richard Sintchak (rich815)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,980
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    1000ml? I am developing for 120 on 500ml tank, so how can i measure again for that 500ml?
    Not Tmax, but TriX400 at 1600
    For 500ml if water cut syrup amount in half as for 1000ml. For TriX shoot at 1600 go 16min for the 32ml/1000ml dilution.
    -----------------------

    "Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

    Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

    My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

    My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ajman - U.A.E.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    For 500ml if water cut syrup amount in half as for 1000ml. For TriX shoot at 1600 go 16min for the 32ml/1000ml dilution.
    Ok, so use 16ml here for 500ml tank.

    This is the time for Trix from massive dev chart, i was gonna use this time anyway, thanks for help

    Not sure which film i should start to develop today, i can't do both as it is a bit late and i don't want to stay long to develop both, one is fine for now, but not sure which one, tough decision

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ajman - U.A.E.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    952
    I bought a syringe that is 20ml, i had one given to me free but only 10ml, but should i use that syringe with the needle or without? No reaction of the metal with the developer? It is very difficult to find needles in my area, i have to buy new syringe to get needles, but that 20ml was very hard to find, i was lucky as i found it in one pharmacy, they had only 2 last pieces.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin