Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,364   Online: 1018

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good explanation Dean..next point is just keep doing what you have been, if you start changing everything - well IT IS Like STARTING OVER.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Williams
    Look, I just put that last part in there in case Bruce wanted to know how a TRUE ratio was figured.

If we all just replace the colon in a dilution with a plus it will save a lot of head scratching. Remember that first of all.

When Kodak says "D76 1:1" they mean one part D76 and one part water. I don't know why they use the ratio thing here (the colon) instead of a plus sign.

1:0 is a misnomer. You can't have a ratio with only one quantity

1:1 is what we call stock solution. One part developer in a total of one part. That's a 100% solution.

1:2 is half stock and half water.... and so on.

Just remember to replace the colon with a plus sign and all this ratio stuff won't matter.
    Now that works for me. Thank you.
    1 (Stock) + 1(Water) = a 50% Working Solution.
    1 (Stock) + 2(Water) = 33.33% Working Solution.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have never heard of true ratios or false for that matter. But the important thing is that it does not matter. As long as you use the notation in the way you understand it consistently you are in good shape. The explanation that 1:10 means one part in a total of ten parts seems unecessarily complicated, If we are going to use scientific notation, we would be talking about solutions with a precise specific gravity, or solutions with molarity, molality etc, etc.

In the end if you make 1 part in 9 or 1 part in 10 the difference is so slight as to have no impact in processing, so people, just do it the way you understand it and do it that way always and you will be fine...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am so happy that Rodinal states 1+25; 1+50 or 1+100 and my Ilford chemicals 1+4 or 1+9 much much easier to understand. After all as we soup our negs we are cooks not scientists LOL

But as already said as long as the dilutions are consistant for your own use, does it really matter. Remember if you always make the same dilution then it becomes a standard for your use and that's all that matters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    I used to know how to mix photographic
    chemicals. Now I have no idea what I'm doing. Send help. My
    head is about to explode!
    I sympathize. I read a thread similar to this a year or two ago
    at rec.photo.darkroom. I'd always used the universall convention
    of the colon when expressing ratios. I've returned to darkroom work
    after many years absence.

I read a number of posts declaring that the unique nature of
    photographic chemistry sets it apart from all else when expressing
    ratios. So, I adopted the + ; 1+1+8 rather than 1:1:8. The first
    reads one part A PLUS one part B PLUS eight parts C while the
    second reads one part A TO one part B TO eight parts C.

To make a long story short, I've gone back to the universally
    used convention of the colon when expressing ratios. The colon
    is just TOO universally used. I think I've been using it for at
    least 50 years and not been once out of line in doing so. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mix D76 1:3. That means I mix 8 ounces of D76 stock solution with 24 ounces of water to make up a total of 32 ounces. When I use it 1:1, I mix 16 ounces of D76 stock solution with 16 ounces of water to make up a total of 32 ounces.

I mix LPD 1:4. That means I mix 10 ounces of LPD stock solution with 40 ounces of water to make up a total of 50 ounces.

I mix Dektol 1:2. That means I mix 16 ounces of Dektol stock solution with 32 ounces of water to make up a total of 48 ounces.

I don't know if it's "+" or ":" that's correct or even if my proportions are correct. I only know it works every time, 100% of the time, to my complete satisfaction.

(I also mix 1.5 ounces of 100% agave tequila with 1 ounce of Cointreau and 2 ounces of fresh squeezed lime juice to make a killer margarita. I have no idea how you write that as a ratio. I just know I need one right now!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    (I also mix 1.5 ounces of 100% agave tequila with 1 ounce of Cointreau and 2 ounces of fresh squeezed lime juice to make a killer margarita. I have no idea how you write that as a ratio. I just know I need one right now!)
    I thought this bit was easy until the question was asked - now I'm as confused as everyone else

Think I'll join you in your recommended soup here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TPPhotog has a great point about consistancy. It's great if YOU know what you mean with whatever sign you use. However, as has been pointed out, the colon is open to interpretation. Maybe I'll be in the minority, but I'm sticking with the "+" sign. With that one there's no doubt. It will always mean x+y=z. But then I've always said "passenger side " or "driver's side". The left or right front of the car isn't accurate enough and depends where you are standing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin