Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,331   Online: 796

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Plus-X is not quite dead. It is not being made anymore but it can be found and purchased. (of course with ensuing difficulty)

But Panatomic-X and Verichrome-Pan can still be found and purchased. So that's not dead yet either? right?

Interesting way to put it! I have a bulk roll of HP3 from July 1963 that I'm working my way though (no hurry at this point, eh?), so I guess HP3 is still not dead yet either!

I nailed 83 rolls of 120 Plus-X on eBay from a guy who was going digital and emtying his freezer a few years ago. Got them for $1.20 a roll. They are frozen and being used from time to time. Its nice stuff but I also got over 100 rolls of Shanghai GP3 in 120. Got that for 65 cents a roll purchased directly in Beijing. Unfortunately rumors say that one's not being made anymore either. It is a beautiful emulsion too, which some swear is Plus-X or at least very similar:

Berkeley Marina Ben Rolleiflex3-5E3 Xenotar ShanghaiGP3 Rodinal1-50 10min 20C 2010-12 VSmac 9000 Scan-101219-0001 by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr

ECHIUM - Emeryville Marina RolleiflexSL66 80PlanarSC ShanghaiGP3 Rodinal1-50 9min45sec 22C 30secAg 03-2011 VSmac 9000 Scan-110307-0007 cr FFw by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sort of an aside, here, Rich ... but can I ask what ISO you're metering for on that old HP3 ... I have some bulk 1963 Tri-X that I just rolled into cartridges and will start experimenting with soon. I was thinking I'd have to expose at around ISO 50.

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Interesting way to put it! I have a bulk roll of HP3 from July 1963 that I'm working my way though (no hurry at this point, eh?), so I guess HP3 is still not dead yet either!

I nailed 83 rolls of 120 Plus-X on eBay from a guy who was going digital and emtying his freezer a few years ago. Got them for $1.20 a roll. They are frozen and being used from time to time. Its nice stuff but I also got over 100 rolls of Shanghai GP3 in 120. Got that for 65 cents a roll purchased directly in Beijing. Unfortunately rumors say that one's not being made anymore either. It is a beautiful emulsion too, which some swear is Plus-X or at least very similar:

Berkeley Marina Ben Rolleiflex3-5E3 Xenotar ShanghaiGP3 Rodinal1-50 10min 20C 2010-12 VSmac 9000 Scan-101219-0001 by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr

ECHIUM - Emeryville Marina RolleiflexSL66 80PlanarSC ShanghaiGP3 Rodinal1-50 9min45sec 22C 30secAg 03-2011 VSmac 9000 Scan-110307-0007 cr FFw by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Sort of an aside, here, Rich ... but can I ask what ISO you're metering for on that old HP3 ... I have some bulk 1963 Tri-X that I just rolled into cartridges and will start experimenting with soon. I was thinking I'd have to expose at around ISO 50.
    Start at 50. Really depends how it's been stored and how much base fog has developed. I have some Super XX from the late 60's that even at 12 seems so foggy to be only a "special application" use and for Holga! Diana! Experiment! Have Fun! if you know what i mean. I've shot a couple rolls at 50 and some at 12 of the HP3. Came out better than my Super XX but still experimenting.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kodak 125 Plus-X film was my film of choice. When I heard it was discontinued, I was at lost. Although I still have some 20 rolls in the fridge, I know there will be an end to it.

Being afraid of that last roll, I found a Plus-X Pan bulk film on e-Bay and bought it for some 30$. Expiration date: 2002... but apparently kept in good condition until today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Sorry didn't mean to include Foma, Foma is much straighter (surprisingly).

I'm sure I saw reference to Adox CHS 25-100 being quite S-curved (like Plus-X).

Rollei RPX 100 might be another to use in place of Plus-X.

This is what I find interesting about Fomapan 400
    You didn't include Foma, I was just asking if it might have the Plus-X old style S curve. I guess not.

That spectral sensitivity for Foma 400 IS very interesting. Most films fall off toward the red, no? It seems to be most sensitive to red before falling off a cliff. I never noticed this but then one wouldn't unless doing careful tests or at least shots of things where one remembered the colors, and maybe with comparisons at that. I've used it for street shooting in my Yashicamat where, by the time I process it, I've no memory of what color anything was.

How about Efke? Anyone know anything about that?

Seems Shanghai GP3 is still readily available in 120. I may try a few rolls - I liked Plus-X in Diafine so it might be interesting to see what GP3 does in it.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Comparing spectral sensitivity curves is useless unless one knows how they were derived. There are at least two methods which result in completely different curves for the same film.
    The attached spectral sensitivities are for Delta 100, published by Ilford ca. 1996. One from the german datasheet, one from the english.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Delta_100_german_1996.jpg   Delta_100_english_1996.jpg  
    Regards,
    Andreas

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin