Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,171   Online: 818

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Printol 12 directions, what's this mean?

I recently got a bottle of Printol 12 paper developer. The directions read:

Printol 12 is designed for dilution 1:4 up to 1:12 parts water for general use. For normal, full scale prints and standard enlarging apers, dilute 1:12. For contact papers, dilute 1:8. At extreme dilution, 1:20 for "soft" results with higher contrast paoers and warm toned portrait papers.
    Development times: 1 1/2 to 2 minutes at 70 F - for best results. Quality prints may be obtained from 65 F up to 100 F. Extending processing times up to 6 minutes or more produces enlargements and prints of maximum brillance and tonal scale.

The last sentence is what confuses me. Maximum brilliance and tonal scale sounds good, but how do you extend the processing times to 6 minutes, if the best results processing is 1 1/2 to 2 minutes? Do you dilute further? Expose less? (And why isn't the maximum brilliance and tonal scale considered the best result?) Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Not a dumb question at all, more like some dumb unclear instructions. You could extend dev times to 6 min at any dilution but you run the risk of fog. I've never used Printol but I'll guess that 6 min is for 1:20 and they don't seem to properly mention that higher dilution leads to warmer tone with some paper. I'd like to know what maximum brilliance and tonal scale is.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    I'd like to know what maximum brilliance and tonal scale is.
    Smoke & Mirrors heh

The directions for the Printol kit sound like the instruction book that came with my home theater components. English / japanese / english translations...
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,
    I read this 3 times, and I guess we are both dumb !. Those directions read like whos on first, whats on second.....

I think NACCO makes it. I would call them, and ask them to explain it !.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect their intention was that "best results" relates to the preferred temperature (70°), not the time. The extended development (between 2 min and 6 min) may add subtle additional definition to highlights and some additional richness to deep shadow tones. If, that is, the safelight illumination is sufficiently low to avoid fogging.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin