Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,889   Online: 918

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Long exposures with strong ND filters - Ilfords BW films

Hello,

Do you have experience with long exposures on Ilfords BW negative films with strong ND filters (etc. Hitech 3,0 ND Pro Stop, Hitech standard ND 3,0, Lee Big Stopper, B+W 106 ND, B+W110 ND)? Long exposures in daytime for 1min., 2min. max 10 minutes.

I tried Ilford Pan F Plus with orange filter and Hitech 3,0 Pro Stop ND filter for this work. Ilford Pan F Plus, because is slow film ISO 50 and with Perceptol EI 25 an this film have poor reciprocity charakteristic. This reciprocity failure is benefit for this work. I rated Pan F Plus as EI 25 and developed with Perceptol 1+1.

But, I have a problem with Ilford Pan F Plus and Perceptol 1+1. I developed Ilford Pan F Plus with Perceptol 1+1 (perceptol + destiled water, water from reverse osmosis) 10min 30s and 20 Celsius degrees, aborted with destiled water from osmosis (2x this water), fixed with Foma Fomafix 3min, washed with drinking water 10min, at the end wraped to Foma Fotonal with destiled water from osmosis 2min. All solutions were tempered to 20 Celsius degrees.

I got this result after scanning. This structure is also on negative. Picture is original resized to 800x600. Is it normal? I am bit disappointed wiht this result. This is a long expsure with Hitech 3,0 ND Pro Stop. Exposure time was 2min 30s. Scanned with Noritsu S-4 and then scanned with Nikon Coolscan 9000ED with nearly same result as Noritsu.

Do you have any pictures with long exposure on Ilfords BW films? I would like to see some works and discuss about this point. I would like to discuss about good choice of strong ND filter for BW negative.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails archit.jpg  
    Last edited by transporti686; 06-06-2012 at 07:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what's the problem, exactly?
    I don't see it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Difficult to diagnose your problem as it is hard to tell specifically how you are rinsing after development, and I have no experience with your particular fixer. Also not sure how you are washing the film during the 10 minute wash. I'm assuming Fotonal is a wetting agent.

Based on the scan it could be as simple as dust sticking to the film during drying.

Whatever the issue is, I can tell you it is not a problem with PanF+, nor is it a problem with Perceptol. It isn't related to long exposures either. Ilford films have no problem with long exposures. As you adjust exposure times for reciprocity failure, you can expose as long as you want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    what's the problem, exactly?
    I don't see it.
    The structure of sky section. Maybe this look is normal, but for me is like rotten, no smooth. Maybe, this is normal look for long exposures on BW films. This is my first try with long exposures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by transporti686 View Post
    The structure of sky section. Maybe this look is normal, but for me is like rotten, no smooth. Maybe, this is normal look for long exposures on BW films. This is my first try with long exposures.
    Looks normal to a guy who shoots lots of long exposures.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Difficult to diagnose your problem as it is hard to tell specifically how you are rinsing after development, and I have no experience with your particular fixer. Also not sure how you are washing the film during the 10 minute wash. I'm assuming Fotonal is a wetting agent.

Based on the scan it could be as simple as dust sticking to the film during drying.

Whatever the issue is, I can tell you it is not a problem with PanF+, nor is it a problem with Perceptol. It isn't related to long exposures either. Ilford films have no problem with long exposures. As you adjust exposure times for reciprocity failure, you can expose as long as you want.
    Rinsing with portable water 20 Celsius degrees. I placed developing tank bellow water cock and I flowed water to central shaft in developing tank. Fotonal is wetting agent. Dust? Dust yes, but no on whole negative

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you have some pictures or link for the website or pictures on the web, please? Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did you try Ilford Delta 100 vs. Ilford Pan F Plus for long exposures?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i used a 3.0nd filter from b&wwith good successbut have no mages from it scanned.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    i used a 3.0nd filter from b&wwith good successbut have no mages from it scanned.
    Oooops

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin