Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,449   Online: 973

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cloth dust on negatives

This is my first time developing B&W film, so don't laugh too hard. I read somewhere to use those thin cotton gloves to prevent fingerprints on negatives. Well no fingerprints but now I have tons of little fibers and white cloth dust on the negs. I tried blowing it off with compressed air. That seemed to help some but there's still plenty left. What should I do? Soak in photo-flo or something?
    Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can safely handle your film with cotton gloves ONCE THEY ARE DRY. Until then, only handle them with bare fingers or non-powder coated nylon or rubber gloves but hold them by edges only. Never touch the image area of the negatives especially when it's wet. They are soft and delicate when they are wet. You can easily damage them.

As to your current problem, soak in water for a while, let those fibers fall off on their own in water, then photoflo....

You can sometimes get away with very gentle rubbing with your bare fingers under water but you are taking risks when you do this. It's a last resort type method.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks!
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin