Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,385   Online: 869
      
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tartu, Estonia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    62

    Yellow blotches on negatives

    Recently I've been getting strange yellow blotches on my negatives. This only happens with expired Svema FN64 film from mid-90's. So it's probably not a development issue. Below is a photo of the negatives (yes, they're are thin, my Praktica is messed it up). As I have about 50 rolls of the film left, it would be nice to know what is it and if it could be somehow avoided.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP5581.jpg  
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    79
    I don't know, but are you sure your fixer isn't exhausted?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,315
    It looks as though the yellow blotches may be places where the film stuck together during processing and did not receive adequate development, fixing and wash. I'd say it's most likely a processing issue and not a film quality problem.

    Peter Gomena

  4. #4
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,456
    Images
    1
    that's my guess too!
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tartu, Estonia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by pekelnik View Post
    I don't know, but are you sure your fixer isn't exhausted?
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    It looks as though the yellow blotches may be places where the film stuck together during processing and did not receive adequate development, fixing and wash. I'd say it's most likely a processing issue and not a film quality problem.
    The yellow might actually indicate a fixing problem as I've seen it before. However, I doubt the film stuck together as it's quite curly and hasn't caused any problems before. The fixer might just be too exhausted for the particular film. I checked some older negatives and they have a yellowish hue and some spots, too but they're more diffused.

    Thanks!
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Jüri View Post
    The yellow might actually indicate a fixing problem as I've seen it before. However, I doubt the film stuck together as it's quite curly and hasn't caused any problems before. The fixer might just be too exhausted for the particular film. I checked some older negatives and they have a yellowish hue and some spots, too but they're more diffused.

    Thanks!
    Did you see the yellow stains immediately after processing, or did they take a while to show up?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tartu, Estonia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkasha View Post
    Did you see the yellow stains immediately after processing, or did they take a while to show up?
    I can't say for sure, but I only noticed them after negatives had been drying for a few hours.

    I'd also point out that there are bright spots in the yellow areas. Not sure if it means anything.
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

  8. #8
    brucemuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Metro DC area, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,265
    Images
    4
    Shoot five or six frames and snip it in the dark.
    Run your normal procedure with FRESH mixed fix.

    Report back

    and have fun either way

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    281
    Hello,
    take a fresh fixer, normal or quick fixer, and determine the clearing time on a piece of the beginning of film. The correct fixing time is two times of the clearing time (with TMax or Delta three times), then wash the film in the tank for about 15 minutes at about 20° C under running water (or with the Ilford washing sequence), then 1 minute in a diluted detergent bath. Then let dry the film.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin