Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,701   Online: 848

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Not at all unique I'm afraid. I used to love un-glazed Brovira - gorgeous. Still prefer a matte finish for most subjects.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Group hug!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'm a matte devotee! I love to tone in it in gold, gives the blacks a punch, it just my perfect for my taste. Nothing wrong with glossy, just matte fit my aesthetic more.

Thanks Thomas for showing me the matte-way. I hope you post here a nice dissertation as to it's virtues and get more matte'ites.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's everybody's favorite Matte paper? I'm currently using Ilford MGIV FB Matte and Adorama's house brand FB Matte paper. For a quick prints, I use RC Pearl from both companies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends whether you mean fiber based or RC. I see the OP specified FB but there might be some confusion here, since the surfaces look very different between FB and RC. FB glossy isn't really glossy - it was intended for ferrotyping in the old days, which as far as I know almost no one does anymore. Doing so will produce something very much like RC gloss but even shinier, but it's hard to do well (I have done it, only fairly well, back in the 70s.) So most FB glossy isn't glossy at all as glossy FB air dried yields what we used to call "glossy dried matte" and is, for most images, my preferred surface. Smooth and with deep rich blacks but not so shiny as to be harsh or give too many reflections.

Matte and semi-matte FB papers suit some images for me, but most of them give up too much in the blacks for me to use them for general printing. This is a very personal thing and many people do like them for more of their prints.

RC "smooth semi-matte" or the like has all the appeal of a dead fish for me, even now that the blacks aren't as horrid as they were the first time I tried, and detested, the Kodak N surface back in the 70s. I like just a bit of texture on RC prints. Pearl or something very similar is my favorite. The best ones look very much like FB "glossy dried matte" or air dried FB glossy. I like RC glossy for contacts because even the minimal texture of a pearl surface obscures fine detail when you drop a 8x or so loupe on it.

Now color is an entirely different matter. I like the smooth matte or semi-matte color pretty well, lustre is fine if there isn't too much texture (but I confess I've been ordering my commercial prints glossy and haven't seen either the matte or lustre since the late 90s) and I find gloss much less distracting on color than black and white. YMMV as usual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi.... OP here....

What I like, in FB is FB matte. Real matte, not glossy drying semi-matte; although I agree it's nice for some subjects as you say. On RC, I tend to like Pearl for prints. For contact sheets (I use 35mm mainly), I use glossy as surface texture of anything else makes looking at detail pretty much impossible.

One thing I noticed though, matte is not matte is not matte.... Depending on who made it, the texture tends to vary quite a bit. I use both Adorama's house brand FB matte and Ilford's MGIV matte. The former dries like semi-matte than matte where as latter is real matte. On RC side, I use both Adorama's brand and Ilford MGIV. They are pretty darn close in texture but reaction to toners are little different. So... I'm now curious... what matte paper do you guys use?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I have always loved matte papers, especially Ilford MGIV, which to me has a very white base - I wonder if it always has had that? - my memory tells me it was slightly less white in the stone age... I mean ten years ago. The Fomabrom 112 is also really good.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just finished a printing session working with rc satin paper. It's the closest I will get to matt as I personally don't like the flatness and black sucking ability it has. The satin is a good compromise between Matt and pearl, an looks good under glass. I like pearl a lot too. For fiber I use glossy and air dry, mostly because I don't have ferrotyping plates haha.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I really like matte, I just wish the blacks were darker.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really like Ilford's dead matt surface, like Worker 11811, behind glass it works really well. Like water, glass deepens the apparent D-max and the non-reflective surface avoids reflections from the print that can be annoying with a glossy or semi-matt print. Without glass, the print has a graphite-like look to it. Don't get me wrong, gloss is great for impact when you want a deep, deep black - but there's something wonderful about the look a dead matt print. YMMV

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin