Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,686   Online: 760

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Am I unique in liking matte surface paper??

I started using FB Matte surface paper. Initially, I used them because I was going to hand-color but I'm starting to like this texture for regular prints.

Even when images are tack sharp, I see some gentle-ness that I can't get from glossy. Also, even the deep black seems not so deep - no that I see contrast much lower but it's gentle... in a way it's hard to describe.

Behind glass and framed, the surface texture itself is kind of hard to tell but this mellowing of images do remain.

Seem to echo my sentiment in images very well.

Anyone else?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am a big fan of Matte papers. Sometimes I think they yield images that look three dimensional.
    "while a hundred civilizations have prospered (sometimes for centuries) without computers or windmills or even the wheel, none have survived even a few generations without art." David Bayles & Ted Orland Art & Fear

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matte, pearl/luster then gloss... In that order.

I think matte looks best behind glass because there are no secondary reflections. The glass and the paper appear to blend together.
    I think pearl goes best for pictures that will go into an album and gloss is best for prints that are meant to be held in the hand.

Some people like gloss because it is easier to reproduce, either for contact prints or for publication.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't like matte because it muddies the shadows. Glossy is too harsh with reflections. Semi-gloss is my compromise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Air dried glossy fiber base for me -- not too glossy, not too matte. If you want a three dimensional look try pt/pd. For ( dare I say) digital prints I go with matte surface 100% rag. But it always boils down to personal preference.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In terms of reproduction gloss gives better blacks.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of what I've printed over the last two years or so has been on semi-matte (Ilford MG Warmtone).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tend to swing between glossy and matte. Real, dead matte where there's no texture, no sheen, nothing... Foma does a good one and it's dirt cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like a variation of jeffreyg's, glossy FB dried in blotter rolls. I guess that dates me -- I bought some blotter rolls years and years ago and they're still working fine. Haven't seen any of these for a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like it a lot. Blacks look like charcoal. Really nice surface if the print will be handled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin