Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,399   Online: 1005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the feedback as always, Simon. I'll continue to manually load my Ilford film. This was just one of those dreams I have... (Delta 50 etc....)

Thanks
    Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you.

Nothing wrong with dreaming...and as we all know sometimes dreams do come true.

Thnaks you for buying, using and valuing ILFORD Photo products.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    China, they could do it in a week, the same way they copy everything else.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Quickloads and Readyloads were twice the price per shot as regular film. And the holders never
    held the film flat at the insertion side. All you had to do is hold a loaded piece of film toward something like a rectangular fluourescent fixture to see how wavy it was. I got around that problem
    by customizing my own holder. And now I only half enough of these films for one or two more backpack trips. So I'm experimenting with rollfilm backs, which is marginally OK for black and white
    printing, but pretty disappointing for color enlargement. The long-term strategy is to find a sucker,
    a hiking companion willing to carry either the film tent or extra holders. Climbing all over the peaks
    with a ninety pound pack was fairly straightforward when I was a teenager in my mid-40's, but is
    getting a little problematic now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sure, China could do it in a week. But the paper envelope would react with the film after 12 months, because someone substituted cheaper paper, or added Melamine to it. The aluminum bar would fall off. Etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    The Quickloads and Readyloads were twice the price per shot as regular film. And the holders never
    held the film flat at the insertion side. All you had to do is hold a loaded piece of film toward something like a rectangular fluourescent fixture to see how wavy it was. I got around that problem
    by customizing my own holder. And now I only half enough of these films for one or two more backpack trips. So I'm experimenting with rollfilm backs, which is marginally OK for black and white
    printing, but pretty disappointing for color enlargement. The long-term strategy is to find a sucker,
    a hiking companion willing to carry either the film tent or extra holders. Climbing all over the peaks
    with a ninety pound pack was fairly straightforward when I was a teenager in my mid-40's, but is
    getting a little problematic now.
    And here are the reasons everyone didn't do it.

What might be more feasible would be for someone to come up with a system that could be loaded and re-loaded (like conventional film holders, but with cheaper "holders") and offer to load any film, dust free, or resell a few popular films loaded into their holders. The film makers (Ilford, whoever) still make their money, and consumers get a choice with another company having a chance to make some coin. I'd pay a premium, definitely 2x per shot not sure about 3x, if I could buy pre-loaded film that was dust free. I don't get a lot of dust but do get some - and if you look close enough you can almost always find it somewhere on any self loaded film outside a complete clean room. (Of course, unless people view your prints with a loupe you needn't really look so hard you always find it, if you don't want to. I feel a lot better when I don't!) Drew has this facility, apparently, but others don't. I run the air cleaner in my darkroom for an hour, wipe down the table with a damp cloth, and even wear a long sleeve, vinyl jacket (even when it's hot) - clean my holders and dark slides thoroughly with a a cleaning roller followed by antistatic brush, zap the light traps and holders with canned air, zap again with canned air when loaded, tap the back side then insert the dark slide - and I don't get a lot of dust but still do sometimes. I wouldn't even try to load film in the field in a bag. Some people do but either the outdoors is a lot cleaner where they are or they aren't as bothered by dust or they're just plain way luckier than I am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin