Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,220   Online: 962

Shooter
    Multi Format

Inversion vs. rotation

Haven't developed for a long time. I see actual recipies are all for inversion. My old tanks are not liquid tight, they are made so that you can rotate the axis of the filmholding spiral.
    How do I recalculate number of inversions to number of rotations.

What is the advantage of inversion, if any?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Eugen,

As long as your are getting good movement in the tank, the two are pretty much the same. Avoid the temptation to be too gentle as you will flirt with uneven development. When I use my tank with a center rod for twisting I turn it back and forth aggressively for the first 30 seconds and then 5 seconds in every 30.

Having said that, tanks that seal well are inexpensive. Used ones can often be had for less than a sandwich.

Good luck!

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Eugen, I have been developing film since 1964 and have tried all ways.

If your tanks are not liquid-tight I suggest that you develop in the dark with the lid off the tank. Every thirty seconds lift the reel up to the liquid-level and immediately put the reel back into the liquid. This will ensure total and complete saturation of all the film with fresh developer. Merely twirling the reel in the developer is risky and not complete. Developing film is a lot, actually, like washing clothes. You have to completely get the developer (detergent) moving around. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 06-12-2012 at 08:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also have a tank that I rarely use anymore because of leaks, which requires the swizzle stick method as well. The best way is to rapidly twirl one way and then rapidly the other back and fourth, if your stick is long enough you can twirl it like making friction fire. I also like to slosh the container while on a counter top sort of like a wine glass, you hold it flat and make small circles to swirl the liquids around. you should also pick it up to tap the sides when done to dislodge whatever bubbles you may have created just like when doing inversion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The patterson method works for me, either 4 or 5 inversions over 10 seconds every minute or 10 rotations, 5 one way and 5 the other over 10 seconds, I have been developing films for over 40 years using this method with my Patterson tanks and it works fine.
    Richard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin