Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,062   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Films underexposed incamera error +2

Hi,

Im a relatively a newbie film shooter and i do a bit of BW developing.

Few weeks ago, i shot 3 rolls on an 4 hour walk without realising i had set the exposure compensation dial to +2 on the camera. ISO incamera is set to DX, and it read 100, 125, and 400 respectively as with the box speed of the respective films. The only bungle i did was not realising the +2 on which it was set. So in effect ive underexposed these films throughout the shoot.

I shot two BW films, ERA 100, Ilford FP4 125, and a Fuji Superia 400 (c41). I am going to develop these BW films by pushing it for 13 mins in Ilfosol S, 4 mins of fixer and 3 mins of washtime. Do not have a stop bath. Is there any pointers or anything that any of you can recommend i do/do not for make sure i can salvage whatever i can from this batch of films.

Any help would be appreciated. Ive looked up through almost* 6-10 pages of APUG to find this same issue, but can't find any, tahts why the request here. Im sorry if this is a redundant query that keeps coming up to you guys...Or if you can point me in the right direction, ill look it up.

Thanks a bunch, again.

Best,

Shooter
    35mm
    When the exposure-compensation dial is set to +2 that means you will get a result with two stops extra exposure, not two stops less. Best to double-check that what you typed is what you meant!

On the positive side, if you pull the b+w films a stop or so you might even find that you like the results. For the colour film, just let it go for normal processing - the latitude is such that 'reasonable' results come out of disposable cameras after all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Martin,

Yes, i think you might be right. So it is overexposed then? So should i be underdevelop it from the typical 6.5 mins for 100ASA.

Its jus that ive never done this (developing +2 exposed films) before and the confusion of push/pull is slightly confusing for the likes of an amateur such as myself. This is not the first time, i assure you. Ive shot a Delta 3200 (with +2 on dial) and send it over to a professional developer who salvaged the roll by overdeveloping it with 16 mins in Agfa universal developer. Of course i didnt fully understand how that worked then...and i still dont now. Thats why ive come here to finally figure it out, and hopefully get over that hill.

So its overexposed like you said, and just can you point out what needs to be done to salvage something,,,from these rolls. Overdevelop by how many mins, underdevelop? anything to look out for? Any thing specific i need to understand. Thanks again for replying.

Best,

(edited for sentence correction)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I normally reduce development by about 20% for each stop over-exposed.

It is very common to give one stop more exposure and a bit less development to improve shadow detail. Two stops is not so common but should be o.k. You might even prefer it!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford give a recommendation for FP4+ at ISO50 in Ilfosol 1:14. That is a time of 7,5 minutes and is compared to 9,5 when using ISO125. Try that time and for the ERA100 roll use the same proportional difference (original time x 0.8) from your usual time for ERA. In this case, for Ilfosol, that would be 20% less than the box-speed time, as suggested by Steve Smith, above.

Note that results from times under about six minutes can be less consistent, due to the twenty seconds (approximately) needed to both fill and empty the tank being a bigger fraction of the total time and therefore having relatively more effect on the total development that is going on. For this reason I suggested using the high dilution of ilfosol in place of the more usual 1:9, to keep the time long enough to be practical.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I normally reduce development by about 20% for each stop over-exposed.

It is very common to give one stop more exposure and a bit less development to improve shadow detail. Two stops is not so common but should be o.k. You might even prefer it!

Steve.
    It sounds right to me.

You might treat it as if only 1 stop overexposed so only reduce development 20%. That will keep you from having too short development time and the uneven effects that can come with that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve, Martin and Bill,

im going to follow your suggested times and start off with the ERA roll first.

8 mins in Ilfosol S 1:14
    4 mins of Rapid fixer
    and wash.

Lets see how this goes. Will keep you all posted. Thank you.

Edit
    Found this ERA development chart from the chinese co.
    http://www.chinastera.com/English/ER...h_product3.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Nope,

I cut up the ERA 100 and dropped it into the tank with Ilfosol S 1:14 for 4:45 mins, followed by 4 mins in fixer and wash. Recommended times are 6-10 mins for normal exposure.
    Its like nothings ever been exposed on the roll. Clear neg strip.

I still have the remaining roll in spool to wash. Any ideas suggestions?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by click flick View Post
    Its like nothings ever been exposed on the roll. Clear neg strip.

I still have the remaining roll in spool to wash. Any ideas suggestions?
    Do you have any edge markings on the film?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    No Steve,

None whatsoever. Edge markings u mean brand imprints etc? No. It does have some emulsion on the outer edges small streaks of emulsion still stickin to it. otherthan that its clear plastic.

I jus developed another smaller strip from same roll for 3:15 mins...
    Temp had risen slightly to 22'C. Same result...lil foggy though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin