Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,695   Online: 1025

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm

Rodinal virgin and FP4 "movie" film

Hi All,
    I've had a bottle of Rodinal lying around for a few months and have just been inspired by all the postings here to give it a try. I combined the test with trying out some of the "White Plains" FP4 movie film, bought via eBay and for half the cost of buying FP4 here in England, even including cost of postage!
    The FP4 was exposed at 125ASA and development stuck strictly to the instructions, 1 + 25, 8 mins @ 20 degs C. The result was what I could best describe as a text-book set of negs and I shall certainly be experimenting further. Can't believe that such a small amount of developer (15cc) can work so well!
    I know that the White Plains FP4 has been discussed here before (in particular the poor communications) and some talk around the difference between FP4 "movie" film and "still", notably the perforation shape. The main difference I noticed is that the movie film takes longer to clear in the fixing stage. I normally leave a piece of unexposed film in the fixer pot to check clearing time while the film is fixing, and thought my fixer must be going home. However, dunking both types of film in the fixer simultaneously proved that my fixer is OK but the "movie" film took about twice as long to clear.
    Best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Rodinal. I am sure you will be contacted soon by our High Priest, Morten!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the fold
    It seems our High Priest is out for today.
    So here is the creed

Come the light of dawn and dusk
    witness my salvation
    as I renounce the evil digital
    no matter the temptation
    and keep my faith in film and rodinal
    to bring forth my creations

Regards Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
    . . . Can't believe that such a small amount of developer (15cc) can work so well! . . .
    You'll be tempted to be even more impressed, Steve, once you try the more exotic dilutions like 1:50,. 1:75 or even 1:100.

If you see a bright light when you come out of the darkroom, please be cautious. Squint a little when you look into the light. If you can see the big "R" in the light, do not, I repeat, do NOT walk into the light.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ER...well ... unless it's a safelight! haha :rolleyes:

Very nice poem, Soren!!!!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Steve from accross the Moors and down at bit All Rodinal users especially from the South West are always a pleasure to see. I'm sure the High Priest will provide you with the sacred T-shirt and souping chant when he's next here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Rodinal. I am sure you will be contacted soon by our High Priest, Morten!
    The High Priest is here!

I am truly happy to see another believer among us!
    btw: About the 15 cc of dev being so powerful. I developed two 135 rolls of Delta 100 in 600 cc of water and 12(!) cc of Hot Rod (1+50). Truly wonderful!

Greetings from the Doctor

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin