Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,667   Online: 790

Shooter
    Multi Format

Efke IR 820 in 4x5, how is the quality control these days?

I used the first version of IR820 in 120 about 5 years ago, I bought 8 rolls, shot 6 and the other 2 are still in a loose film box in my fridge. I had terrible issues with little flecks of the emulsion coming off no matter how I souped it, was terrible.

Now I also use 4x5 so I shoot Rollei IR400 in both 120 and 4x5 and *love* the stark contrast and sharpness, love it!!

But I have just got a commission to shoot a re-make of a historical photo that was made on 4x5 HIE in the early 70's. So I am considering either using one of my rolls of 120mm Aerographic HIE or Efke IR820 in 4x5.

I now soup all my 120mm and 4x5 in a Jobo CPP2 so that is what I will be using for the IR as well, in developer mixed with distilled water...

Any opinions on this film as of late?

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I've used a few rolls of the Rollei IR in 35mm, but not 120. Never had any issues with it. I'm not sure if the Efke film is the same or not (but I wouldn't be surprised if it is).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My last 100 sheets of Efke IR820 4x5 have been flawless even though they got "rough" development; raw undiluted Dektol at 30 Celcius for 4 minutes. They were exposed at EI = 0.5 behind an IR680 filter (from China via Ebay) and I wanted contrast and density, nothing subtle.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear PKM-25,

I have no information on recent 4x5 IR820, but the roll of 120 I shot and developed last week was just fine. Xtol 1+2 (85% box time in Jobo), 1 min stop, 10 minutes in Kodafix.

Neal Wydra

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin