Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,455   Online: 1070

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    ... I can't for the life of me shoot a good colour photo. All the while I can take good BWs all day long. ...
    Yes, it's true, you were meant for black and white. And then you got stuck in a color world. Ah, what cruel fates bestow upon us our fortune! I think the fates tend to be a bunch of jerks.

Seriously, though, you've been training your eye for black and white. Spend some time looking at color photographs you like. Think about why you like them, and then try to find things that match that criteria.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey all,

I grew up shooting black and white film(i'm 19 now) and now, irregardless of if i shoot film or digital, I can't for the life of me shoot a good colour photo. All the while I can take good BWs all day long.

I don't know if this is something ingrained in me now, or what. Whats your take? Do you find this to be true too? I don't look at light as much now that I've been shooting colour, need to get back to that.
    I find I'm able to switch between colour and mono quite easily - but then I used colour film long before I took an interest in black and white. I do approach the two differently, probably because I generally use red filters form B&W, which does tend to be my primary medium - not that i do much photography these days!

The way we see can become a habit; so many people make a habit of not noticing things around them - I suppose they're too busy doing other things. Try becoming more aware of colour in your everyday environment; really look at it and notice how it interacts with other colours, the way it changes in different lighting conditions, and the thoughts and feelings it provokes in you. Summer is a great time to see the deep blue sky, the brightly-lit greens of leaves and grasses, the subtle colours of dawn and dusk... I saw some lovely field poppies by a roadside today - and one was a beautiful deep red that I've never seen in a poppy before! The more you look, the more you'll see. Then use your camera to communicate your 'seeing' to your audience. You can apply this to black and white too, especially when you know how the tones and textures will record on your chosen film and filter combination. Then use your results to contemplate the colours you've recorded. Good luck; I hope you manage to break out of your 'stalemate' with colour. :-)

Cheers,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Here's a test:
    Do you remember scenes in B&W or color?
    That includes dreams: Do you remember dreams in B&W or color?

My visual memory is B&W. So I'm insensitive to color, and it's taken me a while to become decent at shooting color. I remember somebody commenting on the yellow cast in my color print, which I hadn't noticed. But once he pointed it out, it was obvious. I didn't notice the obvious. I've had to teach myself to see color.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To me b&w and color photography are two different mediums and I don't compare one with the other. I print b&w and pt/pd so that's what I shoot for most. Composition is the key for both anyways. Try taking only one when out photographing and concentrate on that instead of deciding which will work best and after a while it won't be an issue. You will know what works for either or both. Some images are effective either way. Having two camera backs one with color and one with b&w can make it easier.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting and educational thread...

After shooting B&W almost exclusively for a year, I recently did some digital shooting and most of it was just awful - until I de-saturated some to B&W and they became decent photographs. Thank you all for making this understandable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey all,

I grew up shooting black and white film(i'm 19 now) and now, irregardless of if i shoot film or digital, I can't for the life of me shoot a good colour photo. All the while I can take good BWs all day long.

I don't know if this is something ingrained in me now, or what. Whats your take? Do you find this to be true too? I don't look at light as much now that I've been shooting colour, need to get back to that.
    19 huh? At 68 I remember how upset I got about things related to time, I actually did not think I would make it to 25. There is a point to that comment, you have lots and lots of time ahead of you.

Now let's look at your question. I grew up with B&W TV, B&W movies, B&W magazines, B&W dreams, and of course B&W photography. I only really went to color in my 30's when I was trying to be a commercial photographer and all my customers wanted color. It took me about five years to get really comfortable with shooting color, and about ten before my dreams started being in color. However, it actually only took about thee months to get to the point where my customers were happy with my color work.

OK, the points of that are NO you are not color crippled for the rest of your life, and MOTIVATION will govern how fast you pick up that color eye.

Another point to consider is do you actually need to shoot color? If your work is for your own satisfaction, and you do not need to make clients happy maybe your muse is B&W. If you choose to shoot both, I will second the suggestion you got to consider them separate media; like an artist would, say, charcoal and water colors. As you pointed out, the way you look at light is entirely different for color and for B&W. The first you are looking for how light affects colors, in the second you are looking for the play of light and shadow. They are definitely not interchangeable ways of seeing, you will have to learn how to switch back and forth between them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    When I am not photographing I see in colour.

When I go out to make photographs I only see images in B&W.

Life is so simple!

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people just seem to think black and white; others think color. They see images that work best in one or the other medium, and usually they don't change between the two very well. On the other hand, sometimes something you see as a color image turns out to be an excellent black and white. But often, excellent black and white images are nothing in color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    be happu,because you obviously have a talent many would like to aquire. i think color just gets into the way of a good picture anyway.no that's not right,but coloris another compositional element like contrast ,and needs to be dealt with accordingly.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    but a good b&beats a good color picture aby day!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin