Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,624   Online: 709

Shooter
    Multi Format

Which filter when shooting kodak TP

Hi all,

I got myself on ebay some kodak TP together with technidol, and I am wondering should I use yellow, orange, or no filter at all. I will be shooting mostly architecture in Italy with 50mm lens. With other films I usually use orange filter - but TP has specific extended red sensitivity, so maybe it is not needed? I did shoot some rolls of TP before, but I forgot did I use filters or not .

tnx,

Shooter
    Large Format
    The filter information for Kodak Technical Pan is on page 2 of this Kodak PDF.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../p255/p255.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Technical Pan was what was once known as a type C panchromatic film, with enhanced red sensitivity. Kodak used to recommend an X1 (No. 11) yellow-green filter for correct color rendering of daylight scenes using this kind of film. The film data does not list a filter factor for the No. 11 in daylight, but 4 or 5 should be a reasonable starting point for tests. The No. 11 is somewhat hard to find these days, but a K2 (No. 8) yellow filter will give quite reasonable corrections, with reds appearing somewhat light. The filter factor for a No. 8 is 1.5 for this film. Your usual orange filter will also work, but the reds will appear even lighter. You will have to find the filter factor for the orange filter, but a factor of 2 should be a good starting point for experiments. I would bracket exposures with these uncertain filter factors.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, you don't need a yellow or orange filter with Technical Pan. The extended red sensitivity makes white skin and lips very light and it darkens the blue sky, so you can say that TP has a built-in orange filter. You can shoot architecture without a filter, but for photographing white people it would be good to use a light blue or yellow-green/green filter (and compensate more for the filter factor).
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for replays. I have K2 filter, but I think I will use yellow-green; often I get some people inside of architecture photos that I make

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin