Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,416   Online: 1124

Shooter
    Medium Format

Different glycols: any practical difference?

I'm interested in mixing Pyrocat-HD in glycol. Is there any practical difference between polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    I'm interested in mixing Pyrocat-HD in glycol. Is there any practical difference between polyethylene glycol and propylene glycol?
    Polyethylene glycol seems to be a lot more poisonous than propylene glycol.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    Yes, but the polyethylene tastes a lot better...
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    Sorry to pick nits here but I want to make sure you get the right stuff. The glycols you can use are ethylene glycol (used in conventional antifreeze) and propylene glycol. The latter is far less toxic than the former, and may actually dissolve typical photo ingredients more readily (i.e. at a lower temperature). This last bit is just a guess though.

The name "polyethylene glycol" (PEG for short) refers to a class of polymers that have molecular structures that makes them look like they are made from ethylene glycol (they aren't, in practice). The low molecular weight ones are thick oils and the higher molecular weight ones are waxy or soft solids. They are used in cosmetics, etc. They are not what you want for dissolving photographic chemicals (though they may work).

In short, propylene glycol = a good bet; ethylene glycol = it'll work but it's more toxic; polyethylene glycol = not suitable for this purpose.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can also mix Pyrocat-HD in glycerine, which is very non-toxic, though its viscosity may be objectionable.

I have purchased both glycerine and propylene glycol in small amount (quart of less) from Artcraft Chemicals. For purchase of larger amount you might want to check out The ChemistryStore, at http://chemistrystore.com/

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PEG is used for food applications!
    EthyleneGlycol can be poisonous if you drink it, prop glycol is less toxic.

For practical purposes there is little difference between them, except price probably and the risks involved.

Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I have purchased both glycerine and propylene glycol in small amount (quart of less) from Artcraft Chemicals. For purchase of larger amount you might want to check out The ChemistryStore, at http://chemistrystore.com/

Sandy
    I buy propylene glycol in a shop for dairy cow farmers. Its 100 % pure form is used as a cow medicine against reduced milk production. About Euro 6,- / litre.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin