Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,354   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Efke PL100 and night exposure

I have heard a lot of good things about Efke films.So I got some EfkePl100 from JandC in 4X5.I shut about 10 frames during the day, coming back from my sons place around ten o`clock at night it was a beautifull turn of the century corner store on my way home lit with street lights and interior lighting.I got my Seconic L508 meter out and try to get to mesure available light .Spot meter was showing under exposure what ever setting I used and reflective was showing about 30 sec. which I felt was not enough to expose this scene.I used a guess and exposed first exposure at f22 for 3 min. and second one at the same f22 for 5min. Now to my question. What would be the proper way to meter and expose scene like this?And how should I develop the two negatives?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would suspect at f22, it is way underexposed. For f22 with 100 ASA film under sodium light, Sanderson (in Night Photography ) suggests an exposure of 52 min, 50 sec. Efke 100 also has high reciprocity failure values.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Images
    What would be the proper way to meter and expose scene like this?And how should I develop the two negatives?

Good Morning, Buster 6x6,

I've found that metering for night scenes is generally impractical. Stick with a particular film/developer combination and make test shots. Gradually, experience will give you a good idea of exposure in most cases.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience with EfkePL100, exposing for zone V, at f22; EV4 requires 3'15", EV2 requires 25', EV0 would be over an hour or more. Depending on how bright the lights were, you should have some detail where the scene is lit, but you won't have anything in the shadows. I would develop by inspection & not expect great results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just experimented with Ilford Delta 400,120 format for some night shots. My lightmeter (not spotmeter) won't give me any kind of reading so I winged it. I did 3 shots of each scene, then changed position to give me a different amount of light, then repeated the 3 exposures. 10 sec, 20 sec, and 30 secounds then developed at regular dev times. (yes I know, it needs to be increased, that's the next experiment). 30 secound exposure with normal ISO dev times is definitley not enough. All negs have images, but only one will be (barely) printable. Tonight I'll be going out and repeating the test shots but will give longer develop times.
    Sorry I can't help with the proper metering for your situation, but am interested in any replies you get.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been experimenting a bit with XR-1 as a push developer--

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/XR-1/xr-1.html

I haven't tried it for night photography, but the results I've gotten so far suggest that it would be really good for that purpose. It really boosts film speed about two stops but the formula produces a low contrast result. For my use (handheld photography under more normal and low light conditions) I want more contrast, but for night photography where you've got very bright sources combined with virtual darkness, it might be just right.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Of course, films are different, but I did a lot of night photography like your scene with Plus-X developed in Rodinal. Exposure times were 30-seconds but I don't recall the f-stop. Probably wasn't anything like f\22, though. You can look in my gallery for some night scenes in Mexico shot at 30 sec. with Plus-X.

I determined the exposure using a Gossen Luna-Six. I walked into the shadows and stood there allowing the mter to take a reading and I locked the reading in and walked into the light to read it. I found this meter to be very reliable in low-light scenes - unlike my Pentax 1deg digital. Then I processed the film the next day in Rodinal to be sure the exposures were correct. They came out fine. The immediate feedback helped on subsequent excursions where the light was even lower. So, a good low-light meter combined with some trial and error shoudl help you zero in on the correct times for this film but don't expect it to turn out ok the very first time.

-Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    I just experimented with Ilford Delta 400...then developed at regular dev times. (yes I know, it needs to be increased....
    Welcome Buster6X6. Glad you're here. Actually, Rogueish, development times are usually DECREASED with long exposures for reciprocity failure. With correct, loooong exposures, whatever they finally work out to be for you, you will correct the extra contrast by decreasing your usual development by up to 30%. Again, this is an additional source of experimentation. Most films recommend N-3 development for any exposure over 20 minutes. Of course YMMV!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge
    Welcome Buster6X6. Glad you're here. Actually, Rogueish, development times are usually DECREASED with long exposures for reciprocity failure. With correct, loooong exposures, whatever they finally work out to be for you, you will correct the extra contrast by decreasing your usual development by up to 30%. Again, this is an additional source of experimentation. Most films recommend N-3 development for any exposure over 20 minutes. Of course YMMV!
    Hmmm...
    Didn't realize that. I know I've likely read that (almost) exact statement here on APUG, but it seems it never sunk in. Guess I'll have to experiment more... Excuse me gotta go get more film!
    "Honest honey! I gotta go out and take more pictures because I'm experimenting so I can post my findings on APUG! No really, this is important!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone.
    I am glad I found this forum.I have been with photography for 30 years and last year I decided to go B&W exclusively, more I learned more I found how little I knew.Friend of mine told me , in the sixties they would expose street scenes at f22 for 25 min. I should have taken his advice. Anyway more or less I am going to have to experiment. I like HP5+ , Acros and TRI-X in 6X6, I am still searching for 4X5 film .Mostly use Rodinal 1+50 and 1+100 just started using PMK (excellent).I also ordered some more film from jandc I`ll try the same scene until I get some good results .I will post my findings .
    Buster6X6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin