Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,009   Posts: 1,524,614   Online: 1040

Shooter
    Multi Format

5x7 B+W Ektapan film

I was given 2 boxes of 5x7 Ektapan dated 12-03-05 and one box is used with open bags. The other box has 75 sheets in unopened bags. I don't shoot 5x7 and was wondering if anyone has cut down film to 4x5? I don't think I would have any problem doing this. I did take one sheet out and used a cutter to cut it down and it looked good. Doing it in the dark wouldn't be a problem. My darkroom is light tight. Anyone done this and how did it work out.
    I would wear cotton gloves to not mess up the emulsion side. I would make one cut and seal them back up and set up for other cut. Then cut the last cut with all of them. I would also have the emulsion side up at all times.
    Any ideas??

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Richard

thats how I used to cut 8x10 down to 1/2 plate - I normally cut the narrower side first, and make sure its the right size to slide into a double dark slide. I'd then cut as many sheets as I needed, reset the cutter, and cut the correct length (along with cutting the top right corner off to give me a notch to know which was the emulsion side..)

Then again, enought people shoot 5x7 - maybe someone would like to swap you some 5x4 for your 5x7? I would...but I'm in Australia so postage makes it too expensive..

Cheers
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    5x7 film can be difficult to obtain these days. The suggestion to trade for an equal amount of 4x5 film is good advice, for the following reasons:

1. When you trim down film you subject it to dust and potential of scratching the film.
    2. While you might be able to get close, there is a possibility that you don't cut it to precise size, meaning they'll fit your film holders poorly.

If you get equivalent film in 4x5 size, you can rest assured it will be cut to exactly the correct dimension, and you stand a better chance of having film that is essentially scratch free, and you save yourself the work of trying to cut the film in complete darkness.

Just my two cents worth.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin