Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,292   Online: 1130

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    epp
    Shooter
    Holga

Kentmere and Ilford films

Are there any differences between Kentmere and Ilford films? I saw a roll of Kentmere 400 (135) locally and bought it, but had not heard of the name previously, then recently learned it has the same parent as Ilford.

Several years back, I shot one roll of Ilford XP2 (120) and I recall the pictures came out well, not bad for the first roll of 120 I ever took.
    --
    My Holgas:

Holga 120N
    Holga 120TLR
    Holga 135
    Holga 135TLR
    Holga 135 Pan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    yes.
    Whut he sez.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Whut he sez.
    x2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Google "Kentmere films" and you'll get lots of results. Unfortunately not all these results will make you happy, unless you like blotchy grain and lack of punch. That said, many people also seem to like the films, perhaps not in the least thanks to its aggressive pricing. And we all know that processing is make or break with any film. Maybe Kentmere is simply a film for the skillful.

I've never tried the films myself BTW, so take my words with a fair grain of Kentmere please .

This is a good link: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...will-know.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've heard more people talk about Kentmere paper than Kentmere films...again, from what I've used, it didn't do it for me. But that's ONLY my personal take. Perhaps it's similar
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used Kentmere 100 and 400 films. They are good general purpose film, nothing special with them. They are different form FP4+ and HP5+.
    It is not true that they are very grainy. Quite normal B/W films.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't the Kentmere stuff suppose to have a higher silver content (more traditional) than the newer emulsions? Or am I thinking about a different product?

-Josh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Piu58 is correct :

Both KENTMERE Films and ILFORD Films ( and papers ) are coated at HARMAN technology Limited in Mobberley UK.

BUT, the KENTMERE 100 and 400 films are a completely different emulsion from the ILFORD FP4+ and HP5+ products.

All these films are 'conventional technology' films, meaning they are not CCG ( Controlled crystal growth ) films like our DELTA Professional films.

It would be inaccurate to say KENTMERE films have more silver in them.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simon, I remember that years back, Ilford had some seemingly "older technology" (read: grainier) film that was called, I think, Ilford "Universal 400." It was inexpensive. Is the Kentmere similar to that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin