Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,899   Online: 1052

Thread: Old Film/Paper

Shooter
    Medium Format

Old Film/Paper

While cleaning up my studio I disocovered I have about 40 rolls of Ilford FP4 and Agfa 100 120 film that is anywhere from 2 to 4 years old plus two packages of 16x20 Agfa MCC 111/118 (unopened) two 1/2 years old. Everything has been stored in subdued no-light conditions and at room temperature or a littel cooler...is it safe to say this material is still usable...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka
    While cleaning up my studio I disocovered I have about 40 rolls of Ilford FP4 and Agfa 100 120 film that is anywhere from 2 to 4 years old plus two packages of 16x20 Agfa MCC 111/118 (unopened) two 1/2 years old. Everything has been stored in subdued no-light conditions and at room temperature or a littel cooler...is it safe to say this material is still usable...
    I don't know about "safe". What is the expiration date on the Film? Even if it is 2 to 4 years after that date, it is *probably* OK ... try a roll or two and see what it looks like.

I wouldn't be concerned about the paper. You'll know soon enough when you print with it.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I wrote an e-mail to AGFA back in the spring describing these types of storage conditions. AGFA wrote back saying these conditions are perefectly fine for their b&w films - refrigeration\freezing aren't necessary. They didn't say exactly how long film starts to degrade if not frozein, but the implication was clear that a few years out of date would be perfectly reasonable. Go ahead and use the film without worry. I'd feel the same about the paper.

-Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Both the film and paper are probably OK. As suggested, the best way to find out is to test it.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin