Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,661   Online: 947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    So, for graded papers, Pyrocat HD at about 50% of PMK times?

I'm planning to shoot a couple of rolls of Classic 400 today and give it a try. Contrary to Tom, I'm hoping to see thin negs. On my condenser enlarger, a Beseler 23CII, thin is much better than thick. I just shot a bunch of Efke 100 while down in New Orleans, developed in Rodinal 1:50. The negatives look beautiful, but prints have that "chalk and soot" look that, in my experience, is a sign of too much density.
    For graded papers it would be best use the times that I have provided in various places because they are keyed to graded papers. Virtually all times you will find for PMK are for VC papers and I don't have a method for matching these times back to graded papers with Pyrocat-HD. Basically I think that trying to do so is just to round about to provide accurate information.

I am about out the door as I write this but if you can wait I will send you some recommnded times for both Classic 400 and Efke 100 later this evening. Just let me know how you plan to print, i.e. regular silver papers (and graded or VC), AZO or alternative?

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 12-04-2004 at 06:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I should add a note or two for clarification.

Virtually all of the development times that I have personally given for Pyrocat-HD have been for printing on graded silver papers (including AZO #2) and it is my experience that these times need to be increased by about 25% for VC papers.

Sandy
    Sandy:

Does this mean if we use VC papers we should just go ahead and use the same times as PMK for neg development?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    Sandy:

Does this mean if we use VC papers we should just go ahead and use the same times as PMK for neg development?
    No, I did not mean to imply that. If you are sure that the PMK times you have are for VC papers then about 70-80% of that time would be a good starting point for Pyrocat.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Virtually all of the development times that I have personally given for Pyrocat-HD have been for printing on graded silver papers (including AZO #2) and it is my experience that these times need to be increased by about 25% for VC papers.
    Sandy
    Does this imply that average gradients for VC papers should be measured with white light rather than blue light as has been recommended for graded. When I develope to a gradient of 0,57 judged by blue light I have to enlarge on about grad 3,5 using Agfa MCC vs. Ilford Galerie grade 2.

Would make sense to me and explain the difference I see quite nicely.

Stefan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    Does this imply that average gradients for VC papers should be measured with white light rather than blue light as has been recommended for graded. When I developed to a gradient of 0,57 judged by blue light I have to enlarge on about grad 3,5 using Agfa MCC vs. Ilford Galerie grade 2.

Would make sense to me and explain the difference I see quite nicely.

Stefan

Stefan,

You have hit on something very important. Years ago Phil Davis did some tests with PMK and determined that there was no single mode on the densitometer that gives a reading that exactly indicates printing density of VC papers. With graded papers, including AZO, a reading in Blue mode with a color densitometer will tell you almost exactly how a negative will print. Same is true of a UV reading for alternative processes that are UV sensitive. But a reading in Blue mode will not accurately indicate how a negative will print on a VC paper because these papers are also sensitive to green light. What Davis determined was that the best reading would be one about 2/3 of the way from the Blue reading toward the Green.

If that were not enough to make us scratch our heads there are the added complications in that, 1) the actual spectral sensitivity of different VC papers may be different, and 2) the color and intensity of the stain varies considerably according to film, even when dealing with only Pyrocat-HD.

But the bottom line is that a negative developed in a staining developer usually needs to be developed to a slightly higher CI for VC papes than for graded papers.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 12-05-2004 at 02:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin