Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,753   Posts: 1,515,916   Online: 1114

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used both films - I even shot the Shanghai ina Great Wall on the great Wall :-)

I've had more problems with GP3 than Lucky when it comes to having it come unstuck form the backing paper (1 roll - out of over 100 rolls shot with both films)..

I use Ilfrod DDX or LC29, and the results are fine on both counts..

And yes - I do thing they've stopped making the GP3...

I may alwso have been lucky because the cameras I use have simple film paths (run straight from spool to spool, or in the case of a TLR over a couple of rollers, but nothing as complex as a RB or pentax 645..)
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Really love the GP3, gorgeous film.

Re: It not being made anymore, this idea came up some years ago as well, seems to keep coming around. Also many things in China are simply made on demand, when a distributor/seller needs more, they order some (big order), factory goes into production. Not sure if this is the case for GP3 or not.
    Last edited by Athiril; 06-20-2012 at 07:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post

Re: It not being made anymore, this idea came up some years ago as well, seems to keep coming around. Also many things in China are simply made on demand, when a distributor/seller needs more, they order some (big order), factory goes into production. Not sure if this is the case for GP3 or not.
    Hope you're right. I really like GP3. When my father-in-law went to pick some up for me on his last trip to Beijing a year or so ago I sent him to the places I knew should have it and one said nope and the other had some but said its no longer being made and what's in the distribution channel is it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a super cheap lot of ten rolls of Shanghai GP3 out of curiosity, and to try in an ancient junkshop Agfa Clack. The first couple of rolls worked ok but the badly printed numbers were very hard to read through the red-window and also I found printed through frame-numbers on the negs. It seems the film is now the same price as Ilford or Kodak products and I don't think that is justifiable, based on the quality of results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not tried either one but at the prices it seems to recently go for on the 'Bay I think I will continue to work with the Arista EDU films. At least they have never jammed up in my Pentax 645.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post

I have found someone too that will supply NEW GP-3 but you have to order a minimum of 500 rls. Not likely I will be doing that but it is a nice film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can still get it in date, with at least a year till expiration from that big bay in the cyber sky.

10 rolls for 29 bucks shipped. That doesn't mean it is in production now, but it's out there if somebody wants or needs it.

I only use it in my cams that do not have view windows. As others have mentioned, the numbers are very difficult to see, and the light can leave the number printed on the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks one and all for the info. A great help and very interesting views. I've ordered 10 rolls of Shanghai (free post of course Terry/D-W-C) so that should keep me going and allow me time to get use to it. I'd heard that it has a real bad curl though a friend said that once the negs were in the neg bags he placed them on his light-box for an hour or so with a heavy book on top of them, then turned the light box off so as to allow them to cool naturally and bingo, no curl? Maybe I'll checkout his words of wisdom soon. I notice that 'Rodinal' gets the thumbs up, why and in what dilution?

Thanks again guys, your time and help much appreciated.

All the best.

Sam.

"Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

Absolutely brilliant Colin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Flickr link above with GP3 examples all have time/temp/dilution and agitation I used.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    My Flickr link above with GP3 examples all have time/temp/dilution and agitation I used.
    Hi Rich. Yep, got them book marked and noted in my Dev cookbook folder. Why the variety of Devs? Experimentation or choosing to suit film/subject?

Sam.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin