Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,747   Online: 1179

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

SHANGHAI 120 Vs Lucky 120

Hi everyone. Has anyone any knowledge of one or both of the above films. Has anyone tried both and come to a conclusion that one is better than the other for x reasons. They seem a viable alternative to using the better quality films that I use at present to test the medium format cameras that I repair/collect.

All the best.

Sam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used both (tried) but the Lucky never made it as far as the first frame before jamming my insert. Twice this has happened and I only bought 3 rolls of it so maybe the third is the charm but I doubt I will be trying it. Shanghai is quite nice film if developed in Rodinal as anything else curls the hell out of the film. Quite nice contrast and easy on the grain. One of my favorite films price wise. I usually get 4 or 5 rolls every few months and the "Free Shipping" always gets my vote. Prints nice also.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 06-19-2012 at 08:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ive heard there is Lucky 120 but never found any. Do you have a source? I shoot the Shanghai GP3 a lot having secured some very cheap direct from Beijing as I lived there and have relatives go back too. A lot like Plus-X but curls a lot. Some examples here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=38698047@N00&q=Gp3
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Funny, the only time I tried Lucky 120 both rolls jammed in my Mamiya RB67 backs. Maybe it's the tar paper-like backing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both films are thin, and hard to deal with until you've filed them in neg sheets and they've had a few weeks to flatten. Otherwise I like them well enough.

I haven't had any issues with either one feeding improperly, though.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used both in 120, and Shanghai in 4x5 also. They're about the same, with about the same type of black backing paper; but if I have to pick one over the other, I might give Lucky the edge.
    rich815, I've always gotten my Lucky 120 off eBay, no certain seller, whomever is cheapest at any given time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    I've used both in 120, and Shanghai in 4x5 also. They're about the same, with about the same type of black backing paper; but if I have to pick one over the other, I might give Lucky the edge.
    rich815, I've always gotten my Lucky 120 off eBay, no certain seller, whomever is cheapest at any given time.
    Ah I see it now. About $3 a roll. Glad I still have 50+ of the GP3 I got for under $1. Heard it may not be being made anymore....
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend gave me a roll of each. He said to re-tape the leading edge of the film onto the backing prior to use to prevent jamming. That worked. Both films very similar in image quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reason why Lucky jammed its that shitty tape they used. I retape them to make sure they don't jam my backs.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My opinion mirrors dances w clouds and rich815's...I've heard nothing but cheap and awful things about Lucky, and Shanghai GP3 was quite nice, when I used it in 120.

I used Rodinal and it was quite lovely. Crappy paper backing, though, and it did curl like sh!t unfortunately. But, as a film, it seemed OK.

I'm going to stick with Ilford and Kodak, quality wise and access-wise...but to answer your question, Shanghai film struck me as an OK choice.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin