Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,985   Online: 687

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XTOL shelf life

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

XTOL shelf life

Hi

I am about to try XTOL and I wonder how long a stock solution will keep (air-tight bottle fully filled) and how many batches of film it will develop before it exhausts (recommendation on replenishment are welcome).

Links to good explanations are very welcome.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi morten -

i had questions about xtol a while back too ...
    from what i can understand, it is a binary developer - it either works
    or it is dead. i have a bunch of pieces of film that i have cut-up. some is to test my fixer and some is to text xtol. for xtol i just stick it in the developer (stock) and see if the film changes. if it does, i am in business, if not, i mix new. for fix i see how long it takes the film to "clear" and double it for my fixing time. i also make a note as to what the original time was ( before any film or paper was put through the fixer) and when it takes double THAT time, i know it is time to mix new fixer.

i don't have any experience replenishing xtol, but

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe....7.20.14&lc=en

has a section on replenishment

good luck!
    -john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Hi

I am about to try XTOL.

Morten

Heresy?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've had xtol in air tight bottles for over a year and have had no problems with it. I've also used it in half full bottles after 9 months with no issues either. I also think that trying a small strip of film like John said is a great idea.

I think that my darkroom stays below 70 year round may help with the storage.

Best,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Gim

I just processed several rolls of Tri-x in stock Xtol mixed 9/27/03, dilutions 1:2 and 1:3. 14 months old and the negatives look good. I store the stock solution in 22 oz., full beer bottles, saran wrap over top and normal bottle cap. Cheap caps and hand bottle cappers are sold at brew supply houses. Nice assortment of bottles available.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianNoise
    Heresy?
    No, just a quick fling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Morten,

I have been using XTOL for quite a while now for for TriX, HP5+ and Kodak Infrared films. I store it full strength in 1 litre brown bottles (get from chemist) and use 1 litre at a time at full strength for approx 6 films, then I throw it away. Used this way I find a litre of neat XTOL will be OK for up to about 6 months. The stuff is so cheap I do not bother about working with dilutions, also I haven't found any great advantage in diluting it anyway. I love XTOL and rate it very highly over a lot of other developers thatr I have used over the years. Used neat and not kept too long I have found it to be very consitant in use, with superb results.

All the best,
    Neil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the answers. I have ordered a 5 litre pack from my local supplier (99 DKR, US$17, £9.25, 22 AUD, 25.7 NZD).
    Is that an ok price or am I being robbed?

I plan on mixing all the dev and keep in a 5 litre bottle and pour it over into my 1 litre bottle for use. Is that ok?

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Morten, don't know how long it will last...have not mixed the stuff I have up. But thought you might be interested in checking out using it with Rodnial. ..Yep!! unblinkingeye had an article on using Xtol and Rodinal - plan to try it sometime, just have not had time (or a jug to store the Xtol in once I get it mixed).
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    But thought you might be interested in checking out using it with Rodnial.
    Some may say it is blasphemy to do so. But I see it as a helping hand to XTOL .

Morten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin