Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,544   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Adorama sell PF Residual Hydroquinone yet it's not on the Photo Formulary website. Very strange and as we've nboth found it's being sold as skin lightener, as such it's potentially quite dangerous as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hydroquinone is used in skin-whitening creams at about 2-3%... It has nothing to do with this mysterious "residual hydroquinone", it's just that some DIY people seem to have found this oddly named product and want to make their own HQ skin creams, as some ready-made HQ skin creams are quite expensive, apparently.

My guess is that this "residual" thing is just some mysterious typo on Photoformulary product listing and nothing more... Photoformulary is well known for a bit... clunky marketing and website .

It is interesting how some people are ready to apply a "developer" to their skin directly for long contact times and repeatably every day, while, at the same time, there are people who are afraid of even trying to develop photographs because they are so scared of these chemicals.

I use this skin cream as an example to show people that they don't need to be that afraid; just be normally careful. If you get one drop of a developer to your hands, which happens every now and then when developing papers, and wash it out, it is still less than one of the millionth of the exposure thousands of people get on purpose without evident problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did the sensible thing... just sent an email off to an Adorama rep for clarification. According to the manufacturer's SKU listed, and cross referencing it to PF site, it appears to be just a regular hydroquinone.

Apparently, people use residual hydroquinone, whatever it is, to make skin whitening cream. I wonder if they have to bathe in fixer to make that permanent? Looking at MSDS, this stuff isn't entirely harmless at higher concentrations....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vanity of vanities, all is vanity. It is amazing what people will do with the belief that they are becoming more beautiful. The folllowing is from the hydroquinone MSDS.

"Skin: May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. May cause dermatitis. Causes redness and pain. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin. Repeated exposure may cause hyperpigmentation of fair skin and depigmentation of dark skin. Causes skin irritation and possible burns. Substance is readily absorbed through the skin.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ....and if 2% works well, 50% ought to work 25 times better

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I heard back from Adorama. "Residual" was in error. It's the usual hydroquinone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin