Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,430   Online: 913

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

RC/FB paper exposure consistency

I bought a stash of Kentmere paper (VC Select, Fineprint VC) a couple of years ago and found that contrast and exposures for the RC and FB were practically identical. Very handy for doing a bunch of cheap fast workprints and then popping out one nice FB copy.

I'm running low now and considering loading up on the Arista Private Reserve stuff on reports here that it's Adox MCP/MCC. Does anyone who uses this paper know if they use the same emulsion on the two bases? Can you do the same trick of keeping the enlarger exposure between different bases?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know whether they're pouring the same soup into the coating machine. But Adox MCP and MCC behave differently, just as Agfa MCP and MCC did. It's not just effective speed; MCP's characteristic curve has a shorter toe, so the tonal scale is different as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...I think it's just coincidence that your exposure is consistent between the two. I've never had this happen before and I've printed on the same Forte, Oriental, Ilford batches (or at least bought at the same time from the same store/supplier, new) of both RC and FB at the same time. RC is always shorter exposures and naturally higher contrast, at least for me. I fear that when you run out, you'll have to deal with the inconvenience that all us other printers have to face with different times and contrast. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilord MGIV FB and RC definitely different for me in the sense of your question. A few years ago I hoped I could get work prints on RC then switch to FB, but it really did not work out at all that way, as I had to start almost from scratch with FB.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually the published speed of Kentmere's Rc and Fb papers are indeed the same. I've been printing that way for some time now too. As far as I know there is no other manufacturer that does this.

Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin