Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,275   Online: 847

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Something I discovered today

HP5 developed at 1+19 using Ilford developer for the advised 6:30 works just fine...................

even when the developer is Ilford PQ universal paper developer instead of the usual LC29. Whoops!

Actually its very slightly more grainy than normal, which was what got me thinking, but it wasn't immediately obvious what I'd done. The give away was I remembered the foil on the bottle I used was only punctured, and my LC29 is completely stripped off!

Shooter
    35mm
    I've accidentally developed film in Fomatol LQN paper developer instead of Fomadon R09. Bottles are identical, exept that the latter has red cap. The result was quite grainy and contrasty, but nice. I'd think lith paper developer would yield very high contrast with film.
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    I have often used Ilfors PQ universal developer to process B&W films. I have tried it at 1+4 for 4 mins @20C and the resulte were very grainy on Tri X film. I also tried it at 1+19 for 8 mins on Tri X and it showed less grain. I even tried both of of the above on two films in the one tank a HP5+ and Tri X and again the results were the same.

Years ago I worked in a wholesale lab and if they ran out of D76 they would use Ilford PQ instead and all films were given the same time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by foc View Post
    Years ago I worked in a wholesale lab and if they ran out of D76 they would use Ilford PQ instead and all films were given the same time.
    One more reason not to use comercial labs for BW. Before, it was hard to find a decent lab, now it's impossible!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PQ Universal was once listed as a film developer in older Ilford literature, it still is for Ilford Ortho Plus. I've used it commercially at 1+19 where I've wanted a slightly higher contrast and 1+29 for normal working.

The quality from PQ Universal is excellent good fine grain, excellent tonality and it's cleaner working than D76/ID-11, there's no reason it can't be used. Having said that with high dilutions the freshness of the concentrate is important.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well I guess I've learned something. Still very much a newbie to darkroom, but gettin' better!

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    Mr Rusty, how do you find the Ilford LC29? It's one developer I have never used and never seem to get around to it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use the Ilford PQ Universal for LF negs -- especially FP4+. From dilutions of 1 to 9 up to 1 to 19, depending on the brightness range of the scene. Looking for negatives with a DR of around 2.5 to 2.8 for carbon printing. I take the 5 liter bottle and split it up into 5 one-liter bottles.

Ran out the other day and went to grab a bottle of D-76 (I used it straight...1 to 0...70F for 10 minutes). After pouring it out of the Expert Drum (3005), I noticed that it was more yellow than normal. It was actually a bottle of Dektol. Negatives were beautiful...so I have been using Dektol until I get around to buying some more Ilford PQ. Developed a few 11x14 negs and several 8x10's lately and I think they'll print fine. The couple sheets of Rollei Ortho25 have an impressive DR considering the brightness range of the original scene.

Girders, Golden Gate Bridge
    4"x10", 300mm lens
    Scanned carbon print
    FP4+ developed in straight Dektol, 70F for 10 minutes
    Scene had a range about 3 stops (9 to 12 on my Pentax spot meter)
    Slightly less contrast than I normally like for carbon printing, but I upped the contrast by reducing the dichromate concentration
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Girders_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 06-26-2012 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the UK D72/Dektol was once sold as a film developer, D163 was Kodaks paper/universal developer here. Ilfords long discontinued powder developer ID-20 is the MQ equivalent of PQ Universal and quite similar to D72./Dektol.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin