Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 777

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seadrive View Post
    So... if you can't tell the difference between Galerie and MGIV, is it the texture difference and the way the toner takes that makes you use MGIV only when you have to?

Thanks to all for the info!
    Those two differences are trivial and do not make me prefer Graded paper.

I don't know if I can rationally explain my preference... Here's a couple thoughts.

I like knowing in advance what paper a negative might fit. For example I just developed some N+2 shots to N+1 so I expect them to print on Grade 3.

I can see when I need to dodge and burn more clearly when I use Graded papers. A test print on MG where dodging and burning are indicated, could also be improved by changing filters. So the choice of how to improve the print is not as clear to me when using MG. This clarity of direction with Graded paper, could be framed as an unecessary constraint, so depending on your point of view this could be an advantage for MG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think graded papers are better but not by much. That being said, I use VC paper because of its flexibility.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    What does better mean?

The theory paper link sent me to sleep! - probably great maths but . . . and who, working with modern materials, ever needs Grade 00 these days?

In the real world, the 'best' paper is the one that suits what you want to achieve.

For me this Adox Fine Print Vario Classic developed in Dokumol. The reason is simply that I like punchy prints with detail throughout the range and I can achieve this simply with this paper exposing on a hard grade followed by a little burning in of very bright highlights with a softer grade. I find this is much more effective for my printing style than using graded paper. However, as I indicated at the start of this post "best", "better than" or "superior to" are all subjective decisions that only you as the photographer can make.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i prefer v-c papers, be cause of their flexibility to get all grades on one sheet of paper. that keeps dofging and burning to a minimumand dark room complexity managable.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin