Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,718   Online: 759

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by oriecat
    What would you guys recommend as a good starting toner for someone who hasn't started doing it yet, but wants to...

I started with a thiocarbamide type sepia toner. It is a bit fiddly in that you have to use two baths, a bleach bath then a re-development/ toning bath but it is quite a versatile method with lots of different variations acheivable depending on dilutions and times/ temps. So if you want variety, try that , if you want more easily controllable and steady results, pehaps try a selenium toner.

I would definitely reccommend reading Tim Rudmans toning book though to get a taste for what is possible, it is excellent. Ann put me on to it and it has opened up a new world for my prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of toners, what would be anyone's guess on the paper/toner combination used by the Bechers?

http://www.artnet.com/artwork/423899..._Finchlay.html

Toning Book

Anyone interested in toning should obtain a copy of Tim Rudman's book.
    There is information in it that I was never aware of even after 40 yrs in the printing business. You will save the cost of the book in wasted chemicals not to mention time
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same with Ilford WT and Ethol LPD 1+6 or more diluted
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    As I've stated here a lot of times, if you use Ilford FB Warmtone in Zonal Pro Warmtone Developer and then selenium tone afterwards you will get a warm brown tone instead of the usual eggplant purple/brown color.

This might suit people more than what they are getting now with selenium.

Michael
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Viradon is one of the most pleasing and rewarding toners for a begginer IMHO

Just remember to have some ventilation because it'll stink like rotten eggs

Quote Originally Posted by oriecat
    What would you guys recommend as a good starting toner for someone who hasn't started doing it yet, but wants to...
    Mama took my APX away.....

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Poco,
    based on the year of that photo i would quess selenium, but on the other hand, maybe nothing.

Frankly i don't "get" the bechers work, altho they won some big award either this year or late last year.

With regard to those formula's i will post them to the chemcial section.
    I have tested them and they are ok, however, since i was not a user of polytene tone when it was available i don't know how close they come.
    They don't look anything like Linda Butler's colors in her Italy book, but then again as we all know the paper and developers are so important to the finally tones.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For beginning, i would suggest using a commercially prepared toner. In my basic toning class we use Fotospeed"s sepia, iron and copper.

Which type will depend on how you want the image to appear, do you want a serious color shift, etc.
    THe most basic is probably selenium followed by a sepia type toner (basic type) as there are more exotic toners that fall into the sepia type class. There are several version of selenium, most people using Kodak's. I have several others on hand that i hope to compare to KRS shortly and i will not be surprised to get some difference as the amount of selenium in the formula will certainly effect the outcome.

Remember that iron and copper are not considered archival which may or may not be an issue for you.

I would again recommend to get Tim's book (as others have suggested) it has more information than one can wade through in one setting. I have most of the modern toning books in print and it is far and above the most comprehensive.

If you decide to start toning , look into basic processes involved in any toning process. Check Ilford's PDF file on their website it is very good .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ann,

" i don't "get" the bechers work"

Funny, because I find their work extraordinary. Different strokes...

I'd kinda figured it was selenium toning, but any clue on the paper? That's not Ilford MG.

I think most of their stuff is 20 - 30 years old, so the materials have probably all changed anyway. The only thing I know for sure is that they shot 5x7.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Definitely not ilford paper in that day and age. Will take another quess as to Agfa, In those days Agfa was Big and since they are german....... ALso, it would be a graded version (again another swag) . the orginal Brovia was also a must in most darkrooms, then of course Kodak. In those days Kodak was King.

Different strokes makes life so much more interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, Agfa was my guess -- for the same reasons.

"Different strokes makes life so much more interesting."

Absolutely. I remember standing in front of "Moon over Hernandez" last year for 20 minutes, trying to make myself care ...then lost myself for the same amount of time last weekend staring at a Becher -- totally swept away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin