Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,981   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    I don't know, but usually when I use it to make Caffenol, I'm mixing with water anyway.
    It matters as the water content determines the weight to be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is probably something between mono and decahydrate.

The only way to REALLY know is to test. There was a thread here in APUG where people reported their test results (or at least I did):
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/8...-question.html

Once you figure it out, maybe you can assume that the different batches with the same label are close enough. Luckily, the amount of carbonate in a developer, for example, does not affect pH that much; it's more about buffering capacity.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i'm in So Cal, CA area and none of grocery stores carry it. Finally found TSP i think at a home depot.

Shooter
    35mm
    I found a couple of MSDS sheets on the web that said A&H Washing Soda is approximately 85% sodium carbonate and 15% water so it sounds like it is the monohydrate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TSP is not the same stuff.

As for the washing soda, it seems to have disappeared in the grocery stores here too, but my wife just got some from the local hardware store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    tsp is tri sodium phosphate

you can convert baking soda to washing soda if you run into a problem
    just put it on a cookie sheet and then in an oven low heat for a few hours
    the heat will force the moisture out and convert it to sodium carbonate.
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-26-2012 at 12:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: whoops, thanks professor!
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe you mean baking soda and not baking power. Baking power contains both an alkaline component (typically sodium bicarbonate, also known as baking soda), one or more acid salts(like Tartaric Acid), and an inert starch (cornstarch in most cases, though potato starch may also be used).

Baking soda is just sodium bicarbonate without all the extras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    In the UK ,widely available Dri-Pak Soda Crystals are labelled as containing greater than 30% sodium carbonate decahydrate.I phoned them up and spoke to a technical guy from the factory who told me the crystals in fact contain 99% decahydrate.There is now some anomaly in the packing regulations that causes >30% to be written on the packs (sounds like the EU again).I have not actually done the heating test to confirm this.
    This is surprising considering the cost of shipping. It is rather inefficient to ship the decahydrate as you are paying to ship a lot of water.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most hardware stores and most Walmarts have swimming pool chemicals. A common pool chemical known as PH Plus is sodium carbonate, same as the hard-to-get washing soda. It may be the mono-hydrate. I use it to make my developers that use sodium carbonate.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try a wine and beer making supply shop. They will have it as "washing soda" or maybe sodium carbonate. Howard Tanger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin