Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,785   Online: 816

Shooter
    Pinhole

Found old photographic paper

I found some packages of old Ilford paper (Ilfospeed 2.24M) at home. I think it's about 30 years old, never opened. I wonder if it still 'works'. What would be the best developer to test it?

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The last very old Ilford paper I found at an estate sale did not hold up very well. It was fiber based and the emulsion tended to come off during the wash. To test you might want try Dektol, stock and 1:1 or 1:2. Use hardner fix, wash aid and short wash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received a batch of old paper - different brands, surfaces, weights - and found varying degrees of fog. Supposedly all the paper was stored the same but I had no way of knowing the exact age of each package.

Some the the Agfa paper that I knew (by packaging) to be fairly old did surprisingly well. Others, in same style packaging, not so well.

Simple to test (essentially compare 2 partial sheets of unexposed paper; one that is developed and fixed and the other just fixed).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Boodschap,

Test it and see.....you never know....its RC obviously and does not have developer incorporated so it may be OK, alsways the same, depends how its been stored.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Found some old developer: Ilfospeed (bottle of 500 ml) that has been in the cupboard for at least 30 years. I've mixed it as described on the bottle. Took a piece of photopaper and it worked. Emulsion seems to be in good shape. Tomorrow I will stop by shop to get fixer...

Shooter
    Pinhole
    And now got the real test: took a picture through pinhole camera. First picture looks neat, some slight package imprints show up, might be better with second picture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    30 year old ILFOSPEED Developer that still works....now that does surprise me

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon,

The original Ilfospeed papers didn't actually need a developer you could process them with an Activator/Stabiliser machine, I used an Ilfopring machine with home made activator (Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium sulphite and Kbr) and Hypam at 1+4 instead of stabiliser. The results were indistinguishable from paper processed in Ilfospeed developer.

At the time Ilford kept very quiet about this as they were promoting their newer Ilfospeed processors.. So original Ilfospeed would still develop in a developer that's collapsed becasue of the inherrent alkalinity.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin