Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,055   Posts: 1,561,363   Online: 1058

Shooter
    Multi Format

Recommended developer for APX 100 and contrasty subject?

Since my Pyrocat-HD thread isn't getting much love...;-)

I just shot 4 rolls of Agfa APX 100 at EI 80 in 135. Most of the subjects were in fairly contrasty light. Here are my priorities:

1) *Printable* highlights with good separation
    2) Good separation in the midtones

I'm less concerned about grain, sharpness, and good shadow detail.

I intend to print the subject on Polygrade V RC (though it may get printed on Polygrade V FB later) on a condenser enlarger. Most likely I'll stick to 5X7 and 8X10 for sizes.

What I'm looing for are developer suggestions (including dilution) along with times and temps. It would be great if any of the following developers could be used:

Pyrocat-HD (oh well, here we go again...)
    Agfa Rodinal
    Edwal FG7
    Ilford DD-X
    Kodak D-76

I've also got the means to whip up some stuff from Metol, Phenidone, Sodium Ascorbate (equivalent to Ascorbic Acid), Sodium Sulfite, and Borax. Frankly, though, I'd rather not take the chance of mixing my own.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One final note - the prints will be developed in Dektol 1:2 (admittedly, a note of questionable import).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My vote would be any pyro dev., or D-23.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D76 1:1 or Rodinal 1+100 get my vote
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal 1:50 thats 1 part Rodinal to make 50 parts mixed dev

See the Agfa recommended dev time and go less 10%

APX100 & Rodinal are a magical combination and you've increase exposure a 1/3 of a stop so just cut development back a touch, as I said about 10%

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo
    Since my Pyrocat-HD thread isn't getting much love...;-)

I just shot 4 rolls of Agfa APX 100 at EI 80 in 135. Most of the subjects were in fairly contrasty light. Here are my priorities:

1) *Printable* highlights with good separation
    2) Good separation in the midtones

I'm less concerned about grain, sharpness, and good shadow detail.

I intend to print the subject on Polygrade V RC (though it may get printed on Polygrade V FB later) on a condenser enlarger. Most likely I'll stick to 5X7 and 8X10 for sizes.

What I'm looing for are developer suggestions (including dilution) along with times and temps. It would be great if any of the following developers could be used:

Pyrocat-HD (oh well, here we go again...)
    Agfa Rodinal
    Edwal FG7
    Ilford DD-X
    Kodak D-76

I've also got the means to whip up some stuff from Metol, Phenidone, Sodium Ascorbate (equivalent to Ascorbic Acid), Sodium Sulfite, and Borax. Frankly, though, I'd rather not take the chance of mixing my own.

Thanks!
    Considering your stated format (35 mm) I would opt for the Pyrocat developer for the reason that the stain will mask grain better then a non staining developer. Beyond that, the stain is proportional. That means that it will become more pronounced in the regions of increased silver density on the negative. That would translate to better highlight separation then a non staining formulation. Catechol was recognized by Ansel Adams in "The Negative" for it's compensating characteristics. That will lend itself to your self described high contrast situation. Good luck.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin