Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,314   Posts: 1,536,687   Online: 907

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: D76

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know, green is pretty awesome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Well said.

I still use it for some purposes. It's cheap, the quality is high and it's flexible (using different dilutions). It's also reliable and predictable.

Perhaps my favourite aspect of it, though, is that the formula is well known so I can mix it from scratch. I don't depend on Kodak's existence to keep using it. (I have been buying Kodak's bags of it again, though, for convenience, so they're making their dollar from me.)
    I wouldn't necessarily assume the well known formula is exactly what's in Kodak's bag at this point. We can all mix a version of D76. Is it identical to packaged D76? Who knows. Is it identical to packaged ID11? Who knows. Why is ID11 packaged in two parts versus Kodak's single mixture? At the very least, we know both D76 and ID11 contain additional ingredients such as sequestering agents. There might be other stuff is in there. These ingredients may or may not lead to small differences in working properties. Who knows what other tinkerings with the original formula have gone on.

It is certainly an excellent solvent developer. However I wouldn't mind knowing how OP concluded it is the "best". How does one arrive at such a conclusion, exactly? Such a test could be of great value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    depends on what you mean by "best." A friend of mine likes to cite some magazine article he saw years ago that went on and on about some mystery developer that was super fine grain, good for all film, could be diluted easily, worked consistently, stored well and was generally all around wonderful and it was, you guessed it, plain ol' D-76. I've toyed with Microdol, but D-76 diluted 1:1 is my standard. In photography I've found the fewer variables you have, the more control you have over the ones that matter, and using the same developer is my "best" solution to that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    I don't know, green is pretty awesome.
    Green is blue with yellow added.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If D-76 is so good then why do so many people seek the holy grail of developers?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    mauve
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I guess this chart is known by most of you:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 007i6x-17056284.jpeg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I think D76 is the best developer formulation in the history of film photography. Any thoughts?

Yes, I think it is a meaningless statement as you don't define what is the best for you.

Take care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D-76 is a one part package due to a patented Kodak method of combining the ingredients and preventing deterioration. It also involves some sophisticated mixing equipment.

Ohters may therefore need to pack simialar formulas as 2 parts.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

D76

If I remember I believe Mr. Troop in The Darkroom Cookbook stated that the Original formulation for D-76 that the ph of the Metol component began to rise during storage and that Kodak had to do re-formulations over the years to counter act this problem. He also stated that is why ID-11 is in two parts,one part is the Metol alone and the other packet contains the other ingredients. If I am wrong, someone in the know please correct me. I don't have my copy of this book and I am just going from memory.

Doug

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin