Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,914   Online: 989

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: D76

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

D76

I think D76 is the best developer formulation in the history of film photography. Any thoughts?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think blue is the best colour ever. Equally unprovable.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak never thought so they spent many years trying to improve it. Eventually they gave up by introducing Xtol instead.

It was a developer many companies were stuck with, it was the late 1920' /30's equivalent of an Open Source Cine film developer. Most Company's including Agfa made D76 although with their own name/formula number.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I think D76 is the best developer formulation in the history of film photography. Any thoughts?

I have no idea if it's the best, because different developers meet different needs, but for most film I use, it (or ID11) used 1:1 has been all I've ever needed.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not the best in any one aspect. You can beat it for grain, effective film speed, sharpness, storage life, whatever. But it does so many things well enough that it has become the standard against which others are compared.

It's a very good all around developer. I could get by with just D76 if I had to. But there is no one best developer for all needs and all photographers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I started out with Sprint in college three years ago. After, I got my own darkroom I used ID-II and the D-76, same thing. After, a couple of months I started using Rodinal and I haven't looked back ever since.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For years, it was the "release" developer for all Kodak B&W products. All films had to pass the test with D76 regarding speed and contrast as well as grain and sharpness.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It's not the best in any one aspect. You can beat it for grain, effective film speed, sharpness, storage life, whatever. But it does so many things well enough that it has become the standard against which others are compared.
    Well said.

I still use it for some purposes. It's cheap, the quality is high and it's flexible (using different dilutions). It's also reliable and predictable.

Perhaps my favourite aspect of it, though, is that the formula is well known so I can mix it from scratch. I don't depend on Kodak's existence to keep using it. (I have been buying Kodak's bags of it again, though, for convenience, so they're making their dollar from me.)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I tend to move between a pretty diverse set of films (Ilford, Kodak, Foma) and have standardized on D-76 for this reason. I get great results for all of them and if I ever want to try a new film, I know I can easily find times for it. I have considered moving to Xtol but the large mixing quantities put me off (I just don't process that much).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My thought, Best for couple T grain films . Other than that, Xtol for everything else.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin