Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 733

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used stock ID11 to develop Delta 400, and once you store it in the dark it should last a year.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Reading Chris Johnson's "The practical zone system". His answer to "What film/developer combination gives the fastest speed with the least grain? is Delta 400 and XTOL. He rates the speed at 400 using XTOL 1:1 for a normal development time of 10min at 20 deg C.
    I pick up on this and I'm getting excellent negatives and his recommended expansion and contraction times (in terms of %) I find to be right on the money.
    Extra plus with XTOL using it with 1:1 the cost is less than $10 for 10 liters. The only other developer I've found to be less expensive is pyrocat HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for the input. I just ordered a few pouches of D-76 from Freestyle. While I'm waiting for it to arrive I'll shoot some stuff so I'll have some film to test.

I decided to go with D-76 instead of XTOL for a very simple reason: I can't find 1 gallon pouches of XTOL, and all I have are 1 gallon bottles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    5 1-litre bottles are perfect - even better than using one big bottle since all but one bottle will always be full.

Funny, I avoid the big packages of Dektol and D-76 from Kodak precisely because I do all my work in metric and storing and mixing 3.8 litres is awkward.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have used Delta 400 with a personal EI of 200 for many many years and am totally satisfied with the results using Thornton's two bath at 5.5 minutes in each bath.

Bset,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I followed a popular suggestion in this thread and got some D-76 again. I swore it off a year ago because I was tired of pouring out a half gallon of brown developer. I think this may be a different time, as the results I got with Delta 400 weren't bad. I'm going to do more test rolls, and some outdoors shots (this was with a strobe). This is worlds better than the results I got with HC-110. In fact not many of my films work well with HC-110 (Or I just don't know how to harness that developer yet); I'm starting to think it was a bad purchase.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delta400.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	495.9 KB 
ID:	53976

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd suggest smaller, full, bottles for storing the mixed stock-developer, as it should then last well when undisturbed. If you use D76 or ID11 and want a good sharp result from the Delta films try using it at 1:3 dilution, with the appropriate time change from the Ilford sheet. The extra dilution will minimise the solvent effect of the 'fine-grain' developer as that isn't really so useful with the genuinely fine-grained (or flat-grained at least) Delta films. Nice to read through the Delta-film pdf's from the Ilford site too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Try HC-110 diluted by a greater ammount. Dilution H (the unofficial dilution) is 1:63 and is a very popular way to go especially with less agitation. It produces great tonality and the greater dilution reduces the solvent effect producing sharper results.

useful links

http://www.mironchuk.com/hc-110.html

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    Last edited by John Bragg; 07-16-2012 at 12:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could try using Ilford LC29. That's what I use with Delta 400 and I get very little grain. I haven't tried pushing it yet, but I doubt I'll have any problems with it.

Cheers,
    Alex

I was thrilled when the latest version of D400 finally arrived . Then crushed when I saw the results. I could only find two developers that work well, DDX & Xtol, and they work very well.
    My old time favorite, D76, did a miserable job.

Pro photogs like Roger Hicks, who wrote the first tests in Shutterbug, came to the DDX conclusion also. Believe it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin