Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,511   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Delta 400 -- Rodinal or HC110?

I have a 100-foot roll of Delta 400. I have shot 2 rolls so far in HC110-B. So far they seem to be just OK; not amazingly sharp, good tones but not striking, not very fine grained. I think I may be doing something wrong, or this developer just doesn't work well with Delta 400.

Acros does very well in HC110 and Rodinal, so I keep these 2 developers. Does anyone have any hints with using Delta 400 with either of these developers? I also have a 100-foot roll of Kentmere 400, and that film does well in HC110 (OK in Rodinal too). I don't use D-76/ID-11 as I always threw away a quarter gallon (I suppose that would be a quart) every 6 months since I don't use it fast enough.

I've shied away from using Rodinal with it as I have heard horror stories elsewhere on the internet about Rodinal and Delta 400. But if others on APUG have had good success with it, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to push Tri-X to 1600 or 3200 in Rodinal 1:25.

Delta 400 in it at 1:50 is not grainy.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The last I shot Delta I used Microdol X 1:3 with good results, I think I would stay away from Rodinal and use HC 110 or DDX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Acros is inherently quite a bit finer grained than Delta 400 (it is also finer grained than Delta 100) so I wouldn't compare the two. If you find it too grainy in HC110 forget about Rodinal, although it will be slightly sharper. With more dilute HC110 sharpness (and graininess) will increase a little. Regarding tonality both HC110 and Delta 400 are flexible anough that with practice and experimentation you should be able to get whatever tonality you want. For finer grain with tabular grained films such as Delta, XTOL works well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It isn't that I want the film to be grainless, I just expected more from it. I'm going to shoot more and try Rodinal as well. Won't know unless I try.

The first roll with HC-110 was bad. The second was better. I'll keep trying. Hopefully by the end of this 100-foot roll I will have a good combination to keep using.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It seems to me that with the new technology tabular films, if they even call them that anymore, it would probably be smarter to get a different developer then what you have, not that they won't work in some way. I always knew Rodinal as a middle of the road developer good with the older emulsions and HC110 as a solvent developer. With Delta 400 you don't really need a solvent developer. I've shot alot of Delta and always had sharp negs out of Xtol and FX2. Xtol is considered solvent but gives sharp grain and FX2 is definitively not solvent.. Since Xtol comes in 5 liters it may be too much to deal with so maybe consider one of the Ilford developers which someone else can comment on.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you really want to play with D-76 some more, mix it from scratch instead. That way you won't have to throw any away; you'll only make what you want.

I find Rodinal really shows the grain on smaller format films, so I tend to avoid it on films >ISO 100. For larger formats it probably doesn't much matter.

Experiment and see what you think.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have access to D-76 at a communal darkroom at the local art gallery (obviously I can't take any home, but I can take my film there to process). I don't need to buy it as long as I remain an active member there. I will try it in D-76 soon. Benefit of this is I can make contact prints of the film as soon as I process it. I am open to trying Xtol, but sometime later.

In the meantime, I'll keep testing it with HC110 and Rodinal. Hopefully I can get one of those to give me decent results, or I will spend more time at the art gallery than I anticipated.

Thanks for the input!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I might suggest that HC-110 is convenient, but has lower performance in the accutance/sharpness/speed arena.

One might try, as previously mentioned, D-76, X-tol.

While I like Rodinal I don't use it much and like it for other reasons than luminance and sharpness.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The best results are with Ilfotec DD-X
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin