Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 636

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Not a good analogy as Malt whisky is harder to make and needs a ver high level of skill and knowledge, we are talking relatively simple easy chemistry.

Ian
    But are you?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But are you?
    Yes.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Why not just send your film to Walmart? I want better control so I mix my own..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can understand the fun and perhaps educational, but not to save money.
    You can save money if you know where to buy your chemicals.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's like the chemistry sets that we had as children, just never grew up that's all. I did try to make brandy but my still exploded so I stick to just mixing chems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    John, but why? Is it just a fun thing, or do you feel any ready mix wont give you the results you want?

hi clive

for me the store bought ready made chemicals don't give me the results i want.
    to be honest, i don't think it is fun to mix up ansco 130, it takes time .. but once mixed
    the stock solution is good for about a year, even longer... and the caffenol/sumatranol
    i don't mix all the time either, i use it for 4-6 months, remove 1L then make another L,
    to replace it.
    i never mix anything from scratch each time i process film or make prints ...

i can see how some people enjoy making these things from scratch ...
    for years i made my own dough + sauce + pizza, and once in a while i make my own pasta ..
    its about the same level of difficulty as mixing photo chemistry from scratch ...

YMMV
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm about to start doing this.

My motivation is not really to save money - although it's going to be quite economical in the long run. I can make small batch at a time for say 2 months worth. Doing this with read-made developer requires buying those 1 liter packs which are quite costly. Perfect for small time operation like mine. Also, there are a lot of common components various chemicals. It doesn't require as many chems as one might initially think.

Ultimately, it's an individual decision. You aren't going to get consensus over this.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could be mistaken, but I calculated the costs of mixing up my own D-72 (similar to Dektol print developer) and found it would be a few dollars per liter (of stock solution) more expensive than just buying the 1-gallon packet of Dektol. I wonder how many chemical formulae you really save money by mixing at home.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say generally home-mixing is probably more useful for print developers than for film developers. Using the many published formulas for print developers no longer commercially available (Ansco etc), you can achieve a wide variety of tones/colors. They are all easy to mix using varying proportions of a relatively modest array of ingredients.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As close as I come to mixing my own is adding water to D-76, I wish that I could mix my own for so many reasons, but the main thing that holds me back is the ability to get chemicals in reasonable size packs.

As for saving money, if you know how to mix your own you can also adjust your own to get a result you want without a ton of work in some other part of the process. And as you know T=$.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin