Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,106   Posts: 1,612,750   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Why mix your own developer

Picking up on a post from Photo Jim about D76, why would you want to mix your own developer when there are plenty excellent ready formula ready made like D76, Rodinal, and Xtol etc.?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's fun, it's educational, and it can save money in the long run.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    It's fun, it's educational, and it can save money in the long run.
    I can understand the fun and perhaps educational, but not to save money.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because it's quick, saves money, I can make up developers not commercially available, as well as toners, fixers, HCA etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Picking up on a post from Photo Jim about D76, why would you want to mix your own developer when there are plenty excellent ready formula ready made like D76, Rodinal, and Xtol etc.?
    hi clive

i don't use any of the ready made formulas for prints or film ..
    pretty much the only print developer i have used for nearly 12 years has been ansco 130
    it comes as a kit that i have to mix myself ... and i buy about 6 gallons which lasts me about a year.
    i use ansco 130 for film as well dilute a bit, and have for about 12 years as well ....
    about 6 years ago whiteymorange, here on apug, got me hooked on caffenol-c, and THAT doesn't come ready made either ...
    my formula for that is a bit more haphazard ... i used to use instant coffee but started to use whole beans that i either roast or leave green
    brew into coffee, and then mix in random amounts of sodium carbonate and vit c and a 1/2 jigger of ansco 130 just for fun ...

if either 130 or caffenol 130 ( or sumatronal 130 ) were ready-made i'd use them in a heartbeat ! but they aren't ...
    ansco130 or one of its variants used to be available ready-made, it was GAF universal, and it came in a big red can
    but that was 30-40 years ago ... if gaf universal was still available, i'd use that ...

i mix them, not so much because i like to mix them, but because it is what i am using, and what i am used to using ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi clive

i don't use any of the ready made formulas for prints or film ..
    pretty much the only print developer i have used for nearly 12 years has been ansco 130
    it comes as a kit that i have to mix myself ... and i buy about 6 gallons which lasts me about a year.
    i use ansco 130 for film as well dilute a bit, and have for about 12 years as well ....
    about 6 years ago whiteymorange, here on apug, got me hooked on caffenol-c, and THAT doesn't come ready made either ...
    my formula for that is a bit more haphazard ... i used to use instant coffee but started to use whole beans that i either roast or leave green
    brew into coffee, and then mix in random amounts of sodium carbonate and vit c and a 1/2 jigger of ansco 130 just for fun ...

if either 130 or caffenol 130 ( or sumatronal 130 ) were ready-made i'd use them in a heartbeat ! but they aren't ...
    ansco130 or one of its variants used to be available ready-made, it was GAF universal, and it came in a big red can
    but that was 30-40 years ago ... if gaf universal was still available, i'd use that ...

i mix them, not so much because i like to mix them, but because it is what i am using, and what i am used to using ...
    John, but why? Is it just a fun thing, or do you feel any ready mix wont give you the results you want?

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because it is fun.
    And, I can mix the amounts I need.
    I mix up just 100ml of Pyrocat HD or 1 liter of Thornton's Two Bath and I find I can those amounts without having to worry about it going off before it all gone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not! That way you can also tweak commercial formulas, adapt developer to suit your taste and so on. Not to mention benefits for large format film users. They need to adapt developing of each negative to the way they exposed them. It is harder and maybe inconvenient for regular leica and MF shooter, but it is how it is done, the right way.
    One more thing, who knows what to expect of foto chem and materials market in the future, better to be on your own...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoroberto View Post
    Why not! That way you can also tweak commercial formulas, adapt developer to suit your taste and so on. Not to mention benefits for large format film users. They need to adapt developing of each negative to the way they exposed them. It is harder and maybe inconvenient for regular leica and MF shooter, but it is how it is done, the right way.
    One more thing, who knows what to expect of foto chem and materials market in the future, better to be on your own...
    To make an analogy, isn't that like trying to make your own malt whisky?

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    To make an analogy, isn't that like trying to make your own malt whisky?
    Not a good analogy as Malt whisky is harder to make and needs a ver high level of skill and knowledge, we are talking relatively simple easy chemistry.

Ian

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin