Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,605   Online: 815

Shooter
    35mm

Technidol lifespan

Does anyone out there have any working, or technical knowledge as to the working lifespan of unopened Technidol?

I've got about 20 packets unopened that I'd stocked up on 8-10 years ago, but have no expiration dates on the packets nor the boxes.

Unfortunately I've only got 3 rolls of techpan. So, if anyone out there is interested in some Technidol, possibly in trade for some film? Or, if anyone has some Techpan they'd like to unload...?

But, really just wondering if this stuff is still usable. Given experience with other developers I assume it should be, but I'd like some input.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I just threw out some Technidol LC packets today. They were about 10-15 years old. I opened the package, took one look at the powder, and immediately knew it was bad—it was completely brown. While powered chemistry does last a long time, moisture and air will eventually make its way into the packets and ruin the developer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe you have something different that I do. Mine is liquid in packets, I believe 6 to a box. I had to special order it and had to buy 5 boxes at the time to get my hands on any at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as I know Technidol LC (liquid concentrate) was only sold as a liquid. If yours is a dried out sticky powder-ish mass then it must be bad. It is easy to home mix some fresh developers for the film in question. They are all low contrast developers for what was and still is a super high contrast film that was first made for copy of text not continuous tone rendering.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought it was only liquid, but the previous response mentioned looking at the powder and assumed he may have some older version than I did. Mine is still definitely wet, so I'll open one up and see what I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My remaining Technidol LC packets are also powder. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I'd trust them with my last 100 foot roll of Technical Pan.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin