Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,580   Online: 893

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TF-3 fixer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks to all for responding. I understood what's said here on fixer dilution and fixing capacity. That was a lot of info. The most important thing I need to know is the recipe for mixing ammonium thiosulfate. I could not get ammonium thiosulfate in where I live. Shipping the a. thiosulfate solution isn't practical either. So, if someone knows how to mix a. thiosulfate from dry chemical, please help out. Thanks again!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know of a way to make ammonium thiosulfate from dry chemicals, unless you want to go through the entire syntesis - which is long involves several smelly and/or poisonous chemicals, and gives you a solution as the result. One of the components (ammonium) is a gas which is both smelly and poisonous.

But where I live, I buy dry ammonium thiosulfate powder!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ammonium thiosulfate does not appear to be classed as toxic for postal purposes so you should be able to buy it mail order, either in an EU country or the US, whichever is more convenient for you, and have it shipped to your location.

I'm not a chemist but I suspect Ole is correct, creating your own ammonium thiosulfate will likely be a serious industrial process so purchasing it overseas may be your only option. Or try industrial chemical suppiers in your country - you may have to buy a 25 kilo bag though...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole

But where I live, I buy dry ammonium thiosulfate powder!
    Ole, thanks again. Where do you get ammonium thiosulfate powder? How do you prepare it for darkroom work?

Thanks to Bob too!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    By the way Ole, do you have the formula for OF-1? How is it use? Thanks a million!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I buy my chemicals from VWR International which has offices in most countries around the world.

Do I have the recipe for OF-1? I should, since I made it! Look in the Chemistry Recipes section of APUG
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for the lead. Ole. Appreciate it!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi again Ole,

I had a good read on the OF-1 and it seems like a very good alternative for me. I have the chemicals needed. If I understand correctly, it's fixing time is the same as TF-4 for paper & film. Is it also correct that I dilute OF-1, 1:3 to use it? Is the capacity around 30 8x10" prints/films too?

Sorry for being seemingly long-winded, but I just needed to be sure since I'm no chemist. Thanks for the patience!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use it undiluted, but it works fine diluted too. It gets a little slow to my taste when diluted more than 1+1. Capacity is like all other fixers; until there's too much dissolved silver. Since I use some very unusual papers, I don't really know what that is in terms of number of prints/films.

It is slightly slower than TF-4, and a lot less smelly
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks a lot, Ole. Best Wishes!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin