Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,375   Online: 795

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    View Camera magazine had an article a few months ago (May/June??) about PMK and Pyrocat HD. Worth reading.

It may be interesting to do a search on this site of the discrepency involved in the View Camera testing procedures pertinent to this article. As I recall this involved an article that Jorge wrote and submitted to View Camera only to have Steve Simmons ignore it. Simmons then went on to write his own article based in nothing more then pure hypothesis with no substantiating scientific basis.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert, thank you for the link to Sandy's pyrocat discussion on APUG. I had forgotten about the thread.

After reading a copy of Jorge's article which he had submitted to VC, the subsequent online comments by Steve and finally the article in VC showing the two developers side by side, I have decided there was not enough objective information to be found to make a decision. This comment is based on Steve's article and certainly not on Jorge's, which I found to be very interesting.

At this point, I'm leaning heavily toward Pyrocat HD as my developer of choice for the next year. I need to decide based on limited funds and experience, so the replies I have recieved are very helpful.
    This is certainly a wonderful forum and I appreciate the time others (especially Donald) have taken to help me with my decision. It sounds like the Pyrocat HD and Efke film combination, both 25 and 100, is a winner from what I have been told, read and seen (Francesco's work). I'm looking forward to trying minimal agitation with Efke 25 for enlarging with rollfilm and 8x10 for contact printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim-

Good luck with your new adventures. One thing that I am sure of is that you will be happy with Pyrocat-HD and Efke 100. I'd love to hear about your experiences with the same developer and Efke 25.

Last night I was contact printing an 8x10 that will go into a portfolio I'm presenting to selected friends this Christmas, and I am still amazed at the combination of Efke 100 and Pyrocat-HD. Prints on Azo and on warm-tone VC fiber paper are stunningly beautiful.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    It sounds like the Pyrocat HD and Efke film combination, both 25 and 100, is a winner from what I have been told, read and seen (Francesco's work). I'm looking forward to trying minimal agitation with Efke 25 for enlarging with rollfilm and 8x10 for contact printing.
    I have posted quite a bit of information about Efke PL100 and Pyrocat-HD on the AZO forum so you should be able to find some good development information there.

Several months ago I had a chance to test some Efke 25 film. It is, as one might imagine, quite high in contrast and offers fairly good expansion and contraction potential, but not nearly as much as Efke 100. My data for this film is rather limited but here is what I would suggest for development with Pyrocat-HD. This is based on rotary processsing in tubes at 72ºF.

For regular silver printing. 1:1:100 dilution

N 6:00 minutes
    N+1 12:00 minutes
    (For N- development use a weaker dilution, say 1:1:150)

For printing on AZO#2

N-3 5:00 minutes
    N-2 6:00 minutes
    N-1 9:00 minutes
    N 16:00 minutes
    (For N+ development use the 2:2:100 dilution)

Efke 25 is a super sharp and very fine grain film, but there is not much latitude, either for exposure or development, so for best results one really needs to test the material.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy, thanks for posting this information. I do remember you post on the azo forum.

How's the book? Any date yet for publication? tim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    At this point, I'm leaning heavily toward Pyrocat HD as my developer of choice for the next year.
    You know, every time I look at Francesco's work I think the same thing. I'm not big on architectural studies, but I am deeply impressed with the tonal range his images have.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin