Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,809   Online: 755

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Developers

Zone-VI developer- I can add my own benzo 1% if I need to. Defender D-55 is a great developer but it works better on Graded papers. I got some great tones with Ilford/D-55/Zone-ViI developer. It won't work well with Oriental,Forte,or Ilford VC papers. Glycin dev. are great but a PITA as they don't last well. Forte will go really good blue/black with some benzo added to the mix.
    Happy Developing Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

It produces neutral to cold tones which I like.
    I really haven't used anything else as I never have been disappointed with it. But this thread may tempt me to try some other devs.

Finally: Rodinal 1+4 should be great for paper (although a bit expensive)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Agfa Multicontrast developer is cheap - lasts a long time and gives great cold blacks - Now my supply is drying up and I am thinking I'll mix my own. I still am not sure what I will try - Probably some kind of Ilford like brew.
    Stock
    Water (125 F)--------------------------750 ml
    Sodium Sulfite (anhy)-------------------110.0 grams
    Hydroquninone---31.0 grams
    Potassium Carbonate (anhy)---100.0 grams
    Phenidone-----------1.28 grams
    Potassium Bromide----5.0 grams
    Sodium Hydroxide-----2.0 grams
    Water to make----------1.0 liter
    Mix 1:9
    I have used this before - I don't think it lasts as long as the Agfa MC but the results were as good for both fiber and RC paper - anyway - it looks cheap enough to mix and if it lasts me a month in the jug I will be happy. - That is probably about 40 4x10 worth of paper. Times are usually 1 minute for RC and 2 minutes for Fiber

For the good stuff it is Amidol for AZO. That is the Holy Grail of paper and developer combos - So good, I had to buy an 8x10 camera and lenses to go with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    Agfa Multicontrast developer is cheap - lasts a long time and gives great cold blacks - Now my supply is drying up and I am thinking I'll mix my own. I still am not sure what I will try - Probably some kind of Ilford like brew.
    Stock
    Water (125 F)--------------------------750 ml
    Sodium Sulfite (anhy)-------------------110.0 grams
    Hydroquninone---31.0 grams
    Potassium Carbonate (anhy)---100.0 grams
    Phenidone-----------1.28 grams
    Potassium Bromide----5.0 grams
    Sodium Hydroxide-----2.0 grams
    Water to make----------1.0 liter
    Mix 1:9
    Yep, thats the same as the Ilford Universal Concentrated Developer formulation I published in the APUG Chemistry Recipes section a while back.

For papers where a blue-black tone is required,
    add 0.05 grams Benzotriazole to the concentrated stock solution.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use dektol at 1:3 or 1:4. It makes for a 2 to 4 min development and exhuasts quick but I love the highlight detail and if i keep the temp up to 72 to 75 F. I git hard blacks.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Images
    Good Evening,

Dektol or LPD, both usually at 1:2. I don't see any significant difference between them except that mixing and storing the Dektol is a nuisance.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im another Eukobrom user. I too favour cold tones. I've just bought a litre of Moersch SE6 blue with finisher blue that I am looking forward to trying. I'll post some results when I have done some work prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    But is there a reason to use a specific developer than just because its there?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Absolutely. Just as with film developers, paper developers will affect the density range, contrast and tonal gradation of the print as well as the color of the print. For papers that work well with amidol, amidol gives deeper blacks.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    The same applies to paper that does to film. That is the developer can not and will not extend the characteristics of the paper beyond what those characteristics happen to be.

In other words if a given paper has a dmax capability of 2.08 and a dmin of .07 then no developer will extend this dmax capability to 2.30 or the dmin characteristic to .05.

Nor will a given developer extend the exposure scale of the paper beyond it's potential. For example if a paper has a potential exposure scale of 1.28 then no developer is capable of extending that to 1.45.

Differing developing agents and formulations will utilize the paper's potential in different ways. For instance color can be affected to some extent and some developers will not have the energy to develop the paper to it's full potential. Selectol Soft is an example of a developer that acts in this manner.

Amidol is widely recognized as the most powerful paper developing agent. So formulations utilizing this agent will tend to produce deep and convincing blacks. This is not so much due to the developing agent as it is the fact that the characteristics of the paper are utilized to the greatest potential.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin