Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,932   Online: 1068

Shooter
    Multi Format

Arista EDU 100 Developer Recommendations

I used EDU 400 for Photo 1 in college 3 or 4 years ago, never used 100. I remember 400 as being very contrasty, so I ended up using HP5 or Tri-X for the rest of that class.

Anyway, as I have slowed down and going for more quality over quantity (my professor required 10 contact sheets and at least 3 prints for every project in Photo 1), I've moved to slower films. I shoot a ton of Acros developed in Rodinal, and am just starting to work on Delta 400 for the times I need faster film or more pushing capability. I shoot 35mm 95% of the time.

I just got 2 rolls of EDU 100 to try out too. I've heard very good things about it, and since it's cheap I figured I'd give it a shot. Acros has risen in price to where it's a little too expensive to shoot as frequently as I have been, so hopefully I can find a cheaper alternative for some circumstances. The developers I use and have available to me are D-76, Rodinal and HC-110.

Which developer do you have good results with? I am inclined to start with Rodinal; it is a wonderful developer for Acros so I'm hoping it will be for EDU 100 as well.

Is 100 as contrasty and curly as 400? My negatives shot in Photo 1 with 400 are still curly, even after 3 years sitting in print files in a 3-ring binder.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have had generally good results with Rodinal 1:50

Except for some issues but those are my own fault. Otherwise the tonality is perfect.
    Last edited by Darkroom317; 07-05-2012 at 01:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Read through this. You may get your answers.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...strations.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to give Rodinal a shot. Thanks for that link; I read the thread a few days ago but re-reading it gives a fresh perspective now that I have the film in my camera.

D-76 times seem to be very vague in Freestyle's literature: 8-10 minutes at 1:1...odd. I suppose splitting the difference at 9 minutes is a good starting point?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I develop fomapan, which os what arista edu is, in D76 stock, 8 minutes at 20, gives negatives with lovely tonality with the 400, which I rate at 320, for both the 35mm and 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A technique that works well for me with Arista is: Stand develop in Rodinal 1:100 for an hour with about 5 inversions after pouring in the developer, no additional agitation. Stop bath is a one minute water rinse. Fix two minutes. Three fill and dump rinses of 5, 10, and 20 minutes.

There are two reasons I use that technique: 1, I am cheap. 2, I am lazy.

The only problem I have found with this technique is that I need to get a multi-roll tank (or at least additional tanks).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure there are probably as many ways to develop this film as there are developers, fortunately for me it seems pretty forgiving that way. I have had good success with Arista Premium mixed both 1+9 (my favorite concoction right now) and 1+19, as well as with Rodinal at 1+50 and 1+100.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin